NJDuck

Report: ASU President Michael Crow On Record About Pac-12 Media Rights

Breaking Down The Recent Drama Of Pac-12 Media Rights

“We’re close to knowing where we’re going to be, and I think we’re close to a deal,” Crow said. “I think that the Pac-12 media rights became more complicated with the departure of USC and UCLA. The media rights became more complicated also, as things always do because markets go like this. They’re up and down, up and down. But, we have fabulous sports teams and the remaining teams, we’re going to get a good offer. We’re in the final stages of that process.”

KSLSPORTS.COM

ASU President Michael Crow went on record with ASU student paper, The State Press, on Pac-12 media rights saying they are close to a deal. 

ASU PRESIDENT TALKS PAC-12 MEDIA RIGHTS, CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT, COYOTES VOTE

ASU President Michael Crow said Pac-12 media rights negotiations are in the final stages and that the school is committed to playing the Pac-12 conference in a meeting Tuesday with THE STATE PRESS.

Discussions about ASU moving to the Big 12

CBS Sports reported last week the Big 12 "renewed contact" with ASU, Arizona, Colorado and Utah and that the four schools' interest in leaving for the Big 12 has "picked up in recent weeks."

"There have been no discussions with the Big 12 conference on moving," Crow said. "I mean, there's been discussions between everyone everywhere on all things related to where our conference is going and where stuff's going to end up and what's happening. We are committed to the Pac-12."

WWW.STATEPRESS.COM

Arizona State University's independent student-run news organization covering Tempe, Phoenix, Mesa and Glendale.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't Crow the same guy that staunchly supported Larry Scott to the bitter end?

Take anything out of his mouth with a grain of salt

On 3/15/2023 at 3:25 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Wasn't Crow the same guy that staunchly supported Larry Scott to the bitter end?

Indeed, he was one of Larry's biggest enablers.

I liked what he had to say here but when it comes to realignment trust no one.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:25 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Good catch, but Michael Bodkin, one of the authors linked above also referenced his opinion piece on media rights.  I get the impression Bodkin is in the Canzano/Wilner level of journalism, one that actually talks to legit sources and then thinks about what they say, producing content actually worthwhile.

In fact, it’s sounding like the Pac-12 has found some mixture between ESPN, Amazon, and Apple that they like and are just busy hammering out the details.

KSLSPORTS.COM

It's been a busy few weeks regarding the Pac-12 negotiation rumors. Let's try to make some sense of it together.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/15/2023 at 3:44 PM, McDuck said:

Good catch, but Michael Bodkin, one of the authors linked above also referenced his opinion piece on media rights.  I get the impression Bodkin is in the Canzano/Wilner level of journalism, one that actually talks to legit sources and then thinks about what they say, producing content actually worthwhile.

In fact, it’s sounding like the Pac-12 has found some mixture between ESPN, Amazon, and Apple that they like and are just busy hammering out the details.

Yes, I thought it was a good piece by Michelle Bodkin as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you McDuck for the article, as it seems that Canzano and Wilner are slowly raising the bar for both readers and other journalists.  This below caught my eye...

"So where is the hold up? I’ve been told the Pac-12 is currently negotiating with both Amazon and Apple TV on the streaming end and because it’s new territory the process takes longer and involves more lawyers than simply negotiating with one of the classic TV powers. There is a general precedent in contracts with classic TV powers such as ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. and the various athletic conferences, there isn’t one with streaming services and that makes drawing up a contract more complex and therefore more time-consuming."

We already heard the streaming was going to be a more difficult contract to sort out, but the fact it has never been done before at a CFB conference level--increases the "pucker" factor for the Pac-12.  

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

"There have been no discussions with the Big 12 conference on moving"

"I mean, there's been discussions between everyone everywhere on all things related to where our conference is going"

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

everything-everywhere-all-at-once-hair-interview.jpg

• Haha 1

The Arizona president also voiced support for the Pac-10. 

On 3/15/2023 at 3:44 PM, McDuck said:

KSLSPORTS.COM

It's been a busy few weeks regarding the Pac-12 negotiation rumors. Let's try to make some sense of it together.

This is groundbreaking negotiating; no streaming source outside of ESPN+ is involved with broadcasting college sports. Plus, GK inherited a mess of a network.

I agree that no school is likely to leave for a few million more and I still question whether FOX and or ESPN want to come up with $31.7M for each of the four corner schools to move to the B12. Also as I noted before why would any of the 4 agree to take a smaller cut than BYU?

I'm keeping the faith. I do expect further consolidation down the road so the Pac-10 deal expiring a year before the B1G's new deal makes a lot of sense. Who knows how happy the LA schools will be after a few years with all of the travel?

Staying at 10 teams may be the smart choice and more lucrative in the short run. The B12 was a Power 5 conference for many years with only 10 teams and no divisions.

Edited by Jon Joseph

This better be a good deal.  And if we go to streaming I expect a replay on demand feature.  

I don't want to fix my midweek schedule to do  a programmer ever again. So, if I want to watch the replay of my beloved ducks at 3:30 in the morning, it better be available.  

That is what makes streaming attractive after all.  Otherwise, I'm done with this conference.  I'll pack my figurative bags and root for the LA schools (at least they're getting paid for the risk they take).  

Michael Crow.  Can't say anything positive about  the guy, so I'll keep it to myself.  I sure hope he didn't have his fingers in the negotiation.  

Predicting who the fourth Pac-12 expansion candidate could be

There is still one mystery program that is viewed as a Pac-12 expansion candidate

Not sure if this was ever posted.  Interesting take why Kevin Borba logically thinks the fourth mystery school could be either Tulane or Rice to go along with the other three candidates SDSU, SMU, Colorado Stste.  Mostly due to media ranking and AAU/institute ranking.

image.jpg?t=1678908330&size=small

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/predicting-who-the-fourth-pac-12-expansion-candidate-could-be

On 3/15/2023 at 1:25 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Thank you McDuck for the article, as it seems that Canzano and Wilner are slowly raising the bar for both readers and other journalists.  This below caught my eye...

"So where is the hold up? I’ve been told the Pac-12 is currently negotiating with both Amazon and Apple TV on the streaming end and because it’s new territory the process takes longer and involves more lawyers than simply negotiating with one of the classic TV powers. There is a general precedent in contracts with classic TV powers such as ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. and the various athletic conferences, there isn’t one with streaming services and that makes drawing up a contract more complex and therefore more time-consuming."

We already heard the streaming was going to be a more difficult contract to sort out, but the fact it has never been done before at a CFB conference level--increases the "pucker" factor for the Pac-12.  

giphy.gif

While it has long been a problem that many Duck fans are unable to get many Duck games and streaming would correct that, there is a lot of exposure that comes from just being on the ESPN (or others) schedule. Long term it will probably be streaming that wins. As a track and field fan I have started to be annoyed that many events are now streaming and involve fees, sometimes sold for a year subscription that is not cheap.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whatever the deal is, I hope Oregon isn’t foolish enough to sign a long term grant of rights.  Ask Florida State and Clemson how that is working out for them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If no one did not see this article and interview that goes along with the other articles.  Here it is from Mark Harlan.

Utah Athletic Director Mark Harlan: I Am Tired Of Outside Forces Creating Narratives Involving Utah, Our Conference

SALT LAKE CITY – Utah Athletic Director Mark Harlan joined Unrivaled on Wednesday afternoon to set the record straight regarding the on-going Pac-12 media rights negotiations and why he’s tired of outside forces creating narratives.

The Pac-12 has been surrounded by rumors of “sure demise” since USC and UCLA announced their intention to leave the Conference of Champions after this upcoming football season, last summer.

One of the main rumors consistently reported on in the last eight months has been that Utah, ASU, Arizona, and Colorado are in talks to join the Big 12. Last week, we put out an article challenging that notion based on conversations had with reliable sources around the situation.

Harlan joined Scott Mitchell and Alex Kirry on the heels of this interview from ASU President Michael Crow, further cementing that the Utes are staying put in the Pac-12, and the remaining members are committed and close to signing a deal they are happy with.

We’ve Always Had A Plan

Harlan started out by saying he and the rest of his colleagues have never not been clear in their intent to stick together as 10 to form a plan that worked for everyone. He further explained that forging a deal of this nature with all the moving parts and people to please is hard and takes time.

“I’ve been clear all along- the other schools in our conference have been clear all along that we’re together,” Harlan said. “We’re 10. We’ve said it. We’re working hard with our commissioner to get this deal done. It’s a complicated deal. There is structure and high expectations with ADs and certainly the presidents and chancellors for the commissioner to nail this thing so we can march forward.”

Harlan continued by hinting the Pac-12 has never been on anyone else’s timetable, and therefore outsiders have taken liberties in their reporting on what is going on. It reached a point, according to Harlan where he felt like he had to say something, hence, the now infamous, “Give me a break,” Tweet.

“Because we aren’t hitting certain people’s expectations of time and outside forces, people start chipping away,” Harlan said. “They start creating things like ‘Four Corners’ and whatever comes up. Whatever causes the clicks- whatever it might be. So yes. I read an article by a writer that I actually have great respect for in Dennis Dodd, but the article had a bunch of things that weren’t true.”

There is a Podcast interview in with the write up.

KSLSPORTS.COM

Utah Athletic Director Mark Harlan set the record straight on the Pac-12 media rights negotiations and why he chose to speak up.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

On 3/16/2023 at 10:05 AM, Rufus said:

Whatever the deal is, I hope Oregon isn’t foolish enough to sign a long term grant of rights.  Ask Florida State and Clemson how that is working out for them. 

The GOR is expected to end 1 year prior to the new B1G deal ending. I think this is smart timing and represents a 5-year deal. Thus the new deal will also conclude before the B12 deal and the ACC's deal. This time frame also allows time to determine whether streaming college sports, at least Pac-12 sports, will provide a decent return for both the streaming entity and the conference.

Jim Delany was roasted when he came up with the idea to form an all-sports network for the B1G. Turns out that the B1G and FOX both hit a home run. Larry struck out because he had the conference go-it-alone without a media partner.

Streaming works and today's oft-maligned GK could be the toast of the Pac-10 and the nation.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:39 AM, Mike West said:

This better be a good deal.  And if we go to streaming I expect a replay on demand feature.  

I don't want to fix my midweek schedule to do  a programmer ever again. So, if I want to watch the replay of my beloved ducks at 3:30 in the morning, it better be available.  

That is what makes streaming attractive after all.  Otherwise, I'm done with this conference.  I'll pack my figurative bags and root for the LA schools (at least they're getting paid for the risk they take).  

Michael Crow.  Can't say anything positive about  the guy, so I'll keep it to myself.  I sure hope he didn't have his fingers in the negotiation.  

Streaming is risky. But as well know my Vegas good friend there is no return without risk. Unlike the network that was without a media partner set up to fail, I think the future lies in streaming.

At 76 I'm not the demographic that matters. It's 'the kids' who matter and I think GK is on target in saying that he wants Pac-10 sporting events to be able to be watched on anything with a piece of glass.

• Thumbs Up 1

The B1G was smart in how they packaged their media rights.  Staggered times over multiple over the air networks.  ESPN is hemorrhaging customers due  to cord cutting.   FOX, CBS, NBC….those are free over the air stations.  Don’t need a cable package to get them.  

But the big stroke of genius here is how streaming will work for the B1G.  That afternoon game on CBS?  You will also find it on Paramount +.  The Saturday night game on NBC?  It will also air on Peacock. And of course FOX has their own sports app.  

The B1G gets the best of both worlds. Over the air channels on tv and their corresponding online options to dip their toes in streaming without having to worry about any of the risks involved with that.  Maybe streaming games will be more mainstream by the end of the new B1G media rights deal. Maybe not. Either way, the B1G has the best of both worlds now. 

Edited by Rufus
  • Great post! 1

On 3/16/2023 at 3:09 PM, Rufus said:

The B1G was smart in how they packaged their media rights.  Staggered times over multiple over the air networks.  ESPN is hemorrhaging customers due  to cord cutting.   FOX, CBS, NBC….those are free over the air stations.  Don’t need a cable package to get them.  

But the big stroke of genius here is how streaming will work for the B1G.  That afternoon game on CBS?  You will also find it on Paramount +.  The Saturday night game on NBC?  It will also air on Peacock. And of course FOX has their own sports app.  

The B1G gets the best of both worlds. Over the air channels on tv and their corresponding online options to dip their toes in streaming without having to worry about any of the risks involved with that.  Maybe streaming games will be more mainstream by the end of the new B1G media rights deal. Maybe not. Either way, the B1G has the best of both worlds now. 

The B12 jumped ahead of the Pac-12/10 and then settled for an OK (pun intended) linear media deal at $31.6M a year per team. Adding BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF are not 'value-added' additions compared to what the B12 is losing. 

Agree with the call on the B1G but the soon-to-be 16 members are all schools with a huge # of graduates and the B1G launching a network with FOX as a media partner was brilliant.  Also population wise it helps the B1G to be in the eastern and central time zones. Yeah, CBS and NBC are in the mix but only to 'pick up the pieces." 

SC/UCLA has to deal with tough travel and I expect close to all of the home games will be played in the dark.

This is a race for the bronze. I believe the Pac-10 definitely beats out the ACC media deal and likely beats the or comes oh-so-close to the B12 media deal.

The Power 2 media deals? The remaining 'power conferences' will not come close.

But in the long run, the Oregon and UW brands are behind only Notre Dame and right there with FSU and Clemson. And the timing of the new media deal to end a year prior to the B1G deal is a sound financial decision. And if the streaming element works it could lead to a terrific ROI.

Games on Peacock and the CBS streaming entity will feature the crummy B1G games. Ohio State/Michigan will not go streaming away.

Thanks for the great comment.

Edited by Jon Joseph