NJDuck

Canzano: Pac-12 Punches Back as TV Deal Nears

Conference sounds tired of the noise.

(When you go on Canzano's site to read article, if you get a pop up you should be to click on 'Continue Reading' to see the whole article.)

The conference’s public-relations strategy in the last nine months has been puzzling. The silence in Las Vegas last week at the men’s basketball Pac-12 Tournament, in particular, fueled another round of fear-mongering click bait from the Big 12 footprint.

I wondered why commissioner George Kliavkoff refused to hold a news conference. But industry insiders cautioned me against banging my shoe too hard on the table. I was told by more than one veteran media-world source that ESPN, FOX, Amazon and Apple likely appreciate that the Pac-12 hasn’t engaged in orchestrated leaks aimed at taking the negotiations public. 

Decide for yourself if the collateral damage to the Pac-12’s brand over the last nine months is an acceptable byproduct. If the conference gets a good deal, maybe the Pac-12 walks taller knowing it did so while refusing to play a less-dignified version of the PR game. 

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Conference sounds tired of the noise.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:40 AM, NJDuck said:

ESPN, FOX, Amazon and Apple likely appreciate that the Pac-12 hasn’t engaged in orchestrated leaks aimed at taking the negotiations public

That says a LOT about the source of the "leaks" that have been churning in click-bait.  I think we should have a much better idea, if not definitive answer by Tuesday's meeting.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1