criticalduck

How Far Will the Women Go?

I don't see the women getting past the second round. With all the talent on the team there isn't a strong leader to push the team like Sabrina did for four years. They lack that strong personality. What do you think? Have a look at this article.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, criticalduck said:

They lack that strong personality.

Not only do they lack the strong personality, and without Paopao even more. They lack the players for a diverse offense. Ruthy Hebard is now really appreciated because she's gone. Sabally and Prince are not threats inside, defenses can guard the outside principally, and defend 6the shooters even more.

The teams they lost to are very good teams, but past the first round is far as I'll predict. 

Right, a leader has yet to emerge.  I don't believe that will be an issue next year, as the freshmen will be experienced and not reluctant.  And so many of the other new players such as Sabally and Mikesell have not been on the floor with this team before.

There are going to be years like this, and I can't complain as we pounded other teams in the prior couple of years.  It is the time of the other conference teams now, and I think a couple of them will do well.

Mr. FishDuck

Our outside shooting has been poor, except for Mikesell in the last game against the Beavers. I am not about to give up on their ability to win. This team, although still inexperienced playing together, has some existing and budding talent that has the ability to win games. Missing Paopao is significant but the opportunity is there for others to step up. 

I really hope Bigby can come in and be the dominant point guard and leader we need.  Paopoa just doesn't seem to be that person right now. I hope I'm wrong but I'm already on record here predicting one and done in the dance.  Our guards just don't impress me at all and this just seems like a lost season.  I'm also a little concerned about the lack of conditioning that appears to me some of our players exhibit.  I just hope next year it all comes together.  

With a full year and a full offseason and preseason for the team to really jell and find their identity and with KG as coach, I'm confident this fall will be the start of a much better year.

GO Ducks!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, nogerO said:

I'm already on record here predicting one and done in the dance.

We are in agreement here!

3 minutes ago, nogerO said:

Paopoa just doesn't seem to be that person right now.

Right now she isn't playing and won't be in the Big Dance, in all probability. I wouldn't be too quick to count her out.

She  seems to have peaked very early in the season against lesser talent and then got exposed as a ball handler in the Pac-12.  She is a really good player, don't get me wrong, but just not the leader we need yet.  Maybe the GOAT can come in and give them a good pep talk before the first game in the bubble and get them motivated.

GO Ducks!!!

6 minutes ago, nogerO said:

She  seems to have peaked very early in the season against lesser talent and then got exposed as a ball handler in the Pac-12.

It's interesting that early in the season it seemed like Paopao was really working at being a pass first PG, often times I thought passing up a shot in favor of the "extra" pass. That could have been deferential, being a freshman, not really having the "Leader" gene.

As the season moved on, she took more shots, and correspondingly, passing, team wide, became a problem, It was even worse because the competition got much tougher. A lot of improvement has come in the second season for players in every sport, so next season looks promising. 

You guys have hit all my thoughts on the head....  

You can't teach fire and we don't have a Sabrina here to make the others accountable.  This team to me has already mailed this season in.  Graves needs  to find an engine for this team. I really don't think this class of freshman has that person nor do I see it in Prince or Sabally. They have a bunch of nice weapons but no "IT" player.   

The other HUGE elephant in the room is and "this may sound odd", our team is just too nice.  Watch Baylor, South Carolina, Louisville, Texas A&M, those teams have some big physical ladies with evil intentions out there in the paint.  We don't have that kind of player.  I would also suggest to you that none of the other PAC schools have those type of ladies either and that's why they wont win the NCAA title too.   Oregon needs a Sabally size player with a Sabrina fire in the paint.  We don't have that and until we do, we'll never win a  national championship "in my opinion" nor will the PAC. 

The SEC, ACC and Big 12 wins in football for the same reason they win in hoops.... Big, physical and nasty when they have to be. 

If Sabrina had a Brittney Griner,  Oregon has two national titles right now!  

Graves needs to focus on the big evil board crushers in the next recruiting cycle. 

Edited by Southern Duck

This is great stuff Southern Duck, as you have given me a lot to ponder and watch for....

Mr. FishDuck

2 hours ago, Southern Duck said:

our team is just too nice. 

Nailed it. Besides her immense talent, Sabrina was relentless, Ruthy had a mean streak, and so did Satou, no player wanted to have anything to do with any of them. Erin Boley, Jaz Shelley, Lydia Giomi...not a Mean anywhere, and the Fab Five weren't going to bring it. 

Not a lot o' love for the Lady Ducks, but how much do they deserve?