DRB74

QB Development?

I've had this thought awhile. Justin Herbert's NFL debut surprised prognosticators. He credits preseason coaching for his development.

What does this say about our QB coaching staff?

Well, this is bad news and good news....

The bad news is that it is obvious to many is that Justin was not coached at Oregon as well as we hoped.  Yet others have given very reasonable explanations, such as the quality of receivers at Oregon versus the NFL.  We did not have anyone after Dillon Mitchell that scared defensive coordinators, while one of Herbert's first NFL bomb TDs was to someone activated off the practice squad that week.  NFL talent is that good.

Marcus Arroyo_Pac12 Video_FP.jpg

The good news?  The Quarterback coach at that time for Herbert is no longer at Oregon, as he is the head coach at UNLV. (Marcus Arroyo)

Joe Moorhead_Twitter.jpg

How is Joe Moorhead as a QB coach?  (above when he was at Mississippi State) He has the track record, and he was a great college QB himself, but we will go by results and that is yet to be seen.

Mr. FishDuck

3 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

How is Joe Moorhead as a QB coach?  (above when he was at Mississippi State) He has the track record, and he was a great college QB himself, but we will go by results and that is yet to be seen.

Not a bad record at Oregon so far in truth... He didn't have a full spring or a full fall camp with the quarterbacks. Even then Shough was ok...

Though at Oregon we are a spoiled lot when it comes to quarterbacks and simply put ok is no where near good enough. 

In the past decade Oregon has started the following quarterbacks... Darrin Thomas, Marcus Mariota, Vernon Adams, Dakota Prukop, Justin Herbert and Tyler Shough. 

Just to throw out a fairly impactful stat I feel of the most touchdown passes in a single game by an Oregon quarterback... Thomas, Mariota, Adams, and Herbert are all tied for first with 6.

Harrington and O'Neil also make the list in the years 2000 and 1994 respectively. 

Why I love that stat is that it just shows how much of a game changer those quarterbacks can be in a game. Furthermore, on a list of 6 quarterbacks total in program history to tie for the record 4... Yes 4!... Have played for Oregon in a significant starting role in the past 10 years. 

We are absolutely spoiled and expect the best from out quarterbacks. Now, I am not saying we as fans should lower our standards but I think we do need to put our standard into perspective.

Tyler Shough is going to Texas Tech and is now the leading man to start at quarterback next season. He'll still have to compete for the job but I want to emphasize here that other schools WANTED him after a mediocre season at Oregon because it wasn't a mediocre season elsewhere. 

Oregon still won the Pac-12 championship and Shough still finished towards the top in quarterback rating for the season. 

Though at the end of the day Shough isn't good enough to play at Oregon. Moorhead will have a whole offseason to get a quarterback ready to run the system to it's full potential... AND we should have some receivers to stress the opposing defenses to make the new starting quarterback's job easier. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David Marsh said:

Though at Oregon we are a spoiled lot when it comes to quarterbacks and simply put ok is no where near good enough. 

Yes, that is true. However Oregon is not an OK school. To be where Oregon wants to be, (National Champion) being just mediocre or even "good" won't cut it. To be the No. 1 football team having a "great" QB is a must. 

To be a National Champion, you have to make sure you are getting the most of what a player can be and while at Oregon Justin could have been better then he was had he received better coaching. His receivers could have been better also. 

Don't forget the RB's of the past. A qb is also helped by the weapon out of the backfield. 

What we are also seeing is a completely new group of coaches. For four decades we had, arguably, the greatest RB coach in all of college football. Beyond that we had coaching continuity. 

Right now we are trying to figure out the assistant coaches and what Cristobal is trying to create. What Cristobal has said isn't what we are seeing. I would say what we are seeing isn't what he wants to create. This is Cristobal's offense, and team, it will take a while to see what that actually means.