FishDuck Article

Trade Rumors: Mariota’s New Starting Job?

With the NFL’s Quarterback Carousel officially on in an unusually active offseason, it’s time that teams with doubts or substantial extra value at quarterback to start making calls about moving the most important position in football. This puts the Las Vegas Raiders and former Oregon superstar Marcus Mariota in a bind. Given the opportunity to play in place of an injured Derek ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

As far as impact on recruiting a qb in the future, the guy who wins the job for this season will have largest impact. Mariota and Herbert have already had their impact on recruiting. Kids think about being the next Mariota when he was at Oregon, that is what Tua wanted.

If we can't put an effective qb on the field, with all the talent on the sideline, then this will make a larger negative impact on recruiting. Kids want to see people who seem like themselves living their dream. That is what Mariota and Herbert did and we need another doing the same.

What we don't want is another Shough muddling through a season and then transferring. Moorhead needs to show he can manage this qb competition and bring aboard a starter and two back-ups. 

The disfunction in our qb recruiting and management needs to come to an end. The good news is the recruiting seems to have gotten better, now we just need to see the development of some players, small task ahead.

As far as Mariota, I think he will land on his feet and become a very serviceable qb. What we saw in the past and last season is only the start of a great career if he gets a good opportunity.

2 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

As far as Mariota, I think he will land on his feet and become a very serviceable qb.

Serviceable = mediocre. Doubtful he'll ever win a Super Bowl game or even make it to the Hall of Fame. 

2 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

As far as Mariota, I think he will land on his feet and become a very serviceable qb

. The biggest hang -up with Marcus now is his contract with the Raiders, not so much the basic salary, but apparently their are incentives included that could push his salary to about $20 million a year. If the Raiders cut him, he's free to negotiate a deal with a new team. But it seems the Raiders want to hold on to him, possibly through the draft as trade bait.

I'm not sure Marcus will make it to the Hall Of Fame, but a number of "serviceable" quarterbacks have played in, and won Super Bowls, with the right team, I feel like Marcus could be one of them. 

7 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

Serviceable = mediocre. Doubtful he'll ever win a Super Bowl game or even make it to the Hall of Fame. 

That can definitely be interpreted that way. What I was saying is he will be serviceable, useful to a team. The question is how does he leverage that usefulness and then how does the team do the same. What I was saying is he is at least at the level of Kellen Clemens who had an 11 year career.

I do think he has a huge upside, but that can be limited by the team that has him and the choices they make. I have faith that Marcus will make good choices, just not too sure if the teams will do the same.

I'll be happy for Mariota if he can pick up a few mill in backup money every year and not ever have to see the field (and risk injury). Then he can happily ride off into the sunset and do whatever he wants to do. 

His contract apparently doesn't make him very tradeable. Teams are trying to rip him off by making him starter without paying him starter money. That obviously shouldn't fly so things on his front are at a standstill. 

I blame the Titans for all of this.  They drafted Marcus without an O line or an offensive coordinator with a brain for years. Without Succop, the Titans may not have won a game for 2 years.  They beat Marcus up on a play book that better fit a Big Ben than a fluid athlete like Double M.  He finally get's mangled with no targets for years except Delanie Walker to throw too and then they bring in Tannehill and let the OC call real plays for him.  Sorry to say but Marcus got a raw deal.  Ya just don't draft a player like Marcus with no vision for him.  It's like driving a stick shift in 2nd gear until you destroy the clutch and the gears, which is exactly what happened to Marcus  

Give Marcus a real O line and the ability to improvise with at least two WR's that can catch and let's see what happens. 

Edited by Southern Duck

1 hour ago, Southern Duck said:

I blame the Titans for all of this.  They drafted Marcus without an O line or an offensive coordinator with a brain for years. Without Succop, the Titans may not have won a game for 2 years.  They beat Marcus up on a play book that better fit a Big Ben than a fluid athlete like Double M.  He finally get's mangled with no targets for years except Delanie Walker to throw too and then they bring in Tannehill and let the OC call real plays for him.  Sorry to say but Marcus got a raw deal.  Ya just don't draft a player like Marcus with no vision for him.  It's like driving a stick shift in 2nd gear until you destroy the clutch and the gears, which is exactly what happened to Marcus  

Give Marcus a real O line and the ability to improvise with at least two WR's that can catch and let's see what happens. 

Hi Southern Duck,

I think you're absolutely right in giving a majority of the blame to the Titans. That offensive line play early in his career (outside of Taylor Lewan and a few others) was awful. Even with one of college football's best running backs of all time(statistically), they couldn't execute any sort of "vision" as you put it when they drafted them for the future of the Titans. I love the car analogy!

Alex

4 hours ago, Ducks4ever said:

I'll be happy for Mariota if he can pick up a few mill in backup money every year and not ever have to see the field (and risk injury). Then he can happily ride off into the sunset and do whatever he wants to do. 

His contract apparently doesn't make him very tradeable. Teams are trying to rip him off by making him starter without paying him starter money. That obviously shouldn't fly so things on his front are at a standstill. 

Ducks4ever,

While I would also love for him to get a decent contract and avoid injury, I would enjoy seeing him on the field more, and I think he would too. Him, Cam, and a few others really have become a part of a rip-off qb culture which is so strange to me given the talent they've exhibited in the past at the most important position in football.

6 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

That can definitely be interpreted that way. What I was saying is he will be serviceable, useful to a team. The question is how does he leverage that usefulness and then how does the team do the same. What I was saying is he is at least at the level of Kellen Clemens who had an 11 year career.

I do think he has a huge upside, but that can be limited by the team that has him and the choices they make. I have faith that Marcus will make good choices, just not too sure if the teams will do the same.

Haywarduck,

Surely at least one team will make the right choice? We can only hope.