Jon Joseph

What Oregon Spends on Football Recruiting Compared to Other Big-Time Teams

No surprise to me that Georgia spends the most on recruiting and has a terrific ROI.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

College football recruiting has turned into an arms race. So where does Oregon rank amongst the biggest spenders in the nation?

Seems like Ohio State is getting the most bang for their buck at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Insane that Georgia spends that much on just recruiting, I mean most of their guys are within driving distance of Athens (I'm exaggerating a bit).  I mean what do the spend on food, or is this spent mostly on trips to Magic City in Atlanta 😅

Oregon is higher on this list than I would have thought.  Really surprised to see Arizona, North Carolina and Georgia Tech on this list.  

On 4/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, spartan2785 said:

Insane that Georgia spends that much on just recruiting, I mean most of their guys are within driving distance of Athens (I'm exaggerating a bit).  I mean what do the spend on food, or is this spent mostly on trips to Magic City in Atlanta 😅

Yes it is an exaggeration!  Many years the majority of Georgia's signees come from out of state. And they target wisely. Three years ago. Georgia signed the top rated recruits from Rhode Island, Nevada, Arizona and would have top in four states if Sewell hadn't decided to be a Duck. It costs lots to show the kind of attention to lure guys from afar. California has been good to the Dawgs, recently giving them Kendell Milton (Fresno), Brock Bowers (Napa), Earnest Green (LA) and Rodrick Robinson (San Diego).  

Much of that recruiting money is spent on scouting, and it takes some dinero to scout all over the country. I can't tell you how many times that the staff has identified unappreciated 3-stars that they uncovered as future stars. Recruiting is the lifeblood of the Dawgs' success.

It was just a joke, obviously they've recruiting smartly, I'm just saying it's a bit insane how much the difference is between number 10 and number 1 is.  Georgia spends more than a million more than the second placed school, that's pretty significant, I'm just curious why the differences are that vast, especially when you look at a school like Oregon where we have to bring the vast majority of our players are from out of state from significant distances from all around the country. 

When I look at Georgia's roster I see a lot of Georgia, Alabama, and Florida, for obvious reasons.  Let's not act like Clemson, Ohio St, or Bama is much different in recruiting nationally.  Just curious why the difference in money is so large.

I'm not trying to say that anything bad is happening, sorry if it came out like that,

Edited by spartan2785

On 4/10/2023 at 8:57 PM, spartan2785 said:

I mean most of their guys are within driving distance of Athens (I'm exaggerating a bit).

Not when you consider their NIL Ferraris

On 4/11/2023 at 5:13 AM, Steven A said:

Not when you consider their NIL Ferraris

Yeah, I had taken Spartan's earlier comment as half joking around as I'll take yours Steven. You'd be hard pressed to find a Ferrari around the Athletic Dorms as the only Dawgs who have much more than they all make in NIL have been recruited for (or snagged their own) endorsement deals. For example, QB Stetson Bennett had the nickname of the "Mailman" and was recruited for a sizable contract with one of the mail companies in Georgia, I think it was UPS. With these Southern boys and duly socialized outsiders, you are far more likely to find pickups parked out front than sports cars.

To return to recruiting monies, Georgia prefers their own evaluations to those of the star-granting recruiting services. They also prefer to scout in person and via workouts rather than depending on highlight films. The personally scout maybe 100 guys a year, all  over the country, to make those evaluations. It is this staff travel that racks up a sizable portion of the recruiting bucks. Yeah, I know everybody scouts guys off campus, but Georgia is almost obsessive about it.

Just today, the Dawgs received a commitment from a kid in Indiana whom the staff believes is badly underrated by the recruiting services. The staff must really like him if he received a committable offer this early as a WR ranked as only the 67th best WR in the class. I don't know but I suspect that the personal contact was the thing that sealed the deal for the staff.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2023 at 10:46 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Yeah, I had taken Spartan's earlier comment as half joking around as I'll take yours Steven.

Good.  I recently ran into an Auburn fan and when she saw I was a Duck she commented on us being rivals.  I thanked her for Nix.  She commented on how much NIL he must have gotten to come to Oregon.  Then said Auburn for years had been paying recruits after I mentioned Newton.

I knew Bo as an Auburn player who started three games against the Georgia Bulldawgs. I always liked his play, and when I heard he had transferred to Oregon, I found and forwarded a clip of his highlights to Mr. Fishduck along with my assessment that You guys are going to like this kid.

I have no idea how much NIL played into Bo's decision to become a Duck. I suspect that he was scouting out quality programs, ideally far away from the dumpster fire Auburn was becoming under Coach Brian Harsin. Plus, I am sure that he had some familiarity with Dan Lanning whose defenses he had knocked heads with three times at Auburn. I am glad that he ended up with a team that I like so that I could finally root for his success before he became a professional.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 1:43 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I knew Bo as an Auburn player who started three games against the Georgia Bulldawgs. I always liked his play, and when I heard he had transferred to Oregon, I found and forwarded a clip of his highlights to Mr. Fishduck along with my assessment that You guys are going to like this kid.

I have no idea how much NIL played into Bo's decision to become a Duck. I suspect that he was scouting out quality programs, ideally far away from the dumpster fire Auburn was becoming under Coach Brian Harsin. Plus, I am sure that he had some familiarity with Dan Lanning whose defenses he had knocked heads with three times at Auburn. I am glad that he ended up with a team that I like so that I could finally root for his success before he became a professional.

Great take ND. Plus, having Dillingham as the OC I think figured into his decision. Under Dilly, he arguably had his best season at Auburn.

In regards to his return, I imagine Division Street and NIL figured into Bo's decision to return. Probably a million or so reasons why he should spend another season in Eugene.

Interesting that even in last year's blow out loss the Ducks put up decent numbers on O against The Champs.