Southern Duck

Is Autzen....

the Cameron Indoor of college football? There may be no little BIG HOUSE in hoops more crazy and loud than Cameron. Is that how the nation see's Autzen when coming to play us? Our stadium is half the size of Bama, OSU, LSU, USC, Michigan and even Penn St. but I'd be willing to bet our house is just as loud the way it's designed. I liken it to the Red Rocks Amphitheater for additional acoustic sound. Would adding onto Autzen actually destroy it's mystique? If Cameron added 5 thousand seats to it's 10k capacity now, would it still be the same? If we did build onto Autzen how would we do it to keep the sound and the environment it's known for, at an Oregon level?

Edited by Southern Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

If we did build onto Autzen how would we do it to keep the sound and the environment it's known for, at an Oregon level?

That's a great comparison. Of course Cameron at its best isn't close to Autzen's counterpart, Mac Court, "The Pit".  Autzen has had additional seating and cosmetic changes, most notably removing the hump in the field, over the years, and they haven't dampened the environment. Just ask Lloyd Carr. 

I don't think seating should increase too much, unless it was for added cheaper seats. MKA is great, but it's more of a Performing Arts Center than the intimidating arena Mac Court was. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

That's a great comparison. Of course Cameron at its best isn't close to Autzen's counterpart, Mac Court, "The Pit".  Autzen has had additional seating and cosmetic changes, most notably removing the hump in the field, over the years, and they haven't dampened the environment. Just ask Lloyd Carr. 

I don't think seating should increase too much, unless it was for added cheaper seats. MKA is great, but it's more of a Performing Arts Center than the intimidating arena Mac Court was. 

MKA seems almost too nice for a college venue!  One day I  hope MKA will be as rock'n as  THE PIT was... is that even possible?

16 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

I  hope MKA will be as rock'n as  THE PIT was... is that even possible?

That seems very unlikely. There was no intention given to updating, "The Pit". "Rock'n the MKA" isn't going to happen. There were times, mainly during last season's Women's games with The Big 3, when MKA got pretty loud. But I don't think MKA will ever get the scoreboard shakin'

See the source image

"The Pit" will never be duplicated, because it was actually scary. When the scoreboard was swaying and the whole building shaking these seats were epic. I do wonder if a structural engineer would allow a full house in 'The Pit' now?

macinsidejpg-15e88d3157e7e01b.jpg

It doesn't seem like the student body loves the games like when I was in school, is that fair?  At least at Oregon?  Seems the student section takes off early in football  games and barely show's up for hoops, well "women's they showed up for Sabrina".  What's the disconnect?  Sure can't be the epic facilities! 

Edited by Southern Duck

Man, I miss the pit. Yes it was scary but a good scary, lol

• Like 1

Autzen expansion had been a topic of discussion previously at board meetings - but that was during the height of Oregon football success and ticket demand. Both the decline of the on field product from 2015 and on combined with a general attendance drop through much of college football shelved any talk of that happening in the near future. If Oregon can string together some ultra successful seasons that could change that. As big of an issue the on field product is the same goes for the Pac-12’s scheduling so many night games and the lackluster OOC schedule. 

It’s difficult to beat TV when games start at 7PM, and if it’s November that isn’t particularly pleasant. Especially when about 60% of the fans come down from the Portland area. I’ve skipped games before where the start was too early for a bad game like Portland State in 2018, because I didn’t feel like getting up early on a Saturday to drive down and watch a blowout. I personally don’t mind the later games in warm September as we like to grab a few friends and get an Air BnB or a hotel and make a little trip out of it. 

The more realistic thing for the time being is more stadium improvements. We just got the biggest one asked for, the new sound system. Plus, the biggest video board in college football. I didn’t think it was needed but now it looks great and I can’t wait to experience that in person. If there is an expansion in the future that video board eliminated a prime piece of area to do it in, so any additions would be on the other side. 

As for MKA, it’s an NBA style arena that is beautiful but obviously won’t have the character of Mac Court. It’s also a financial millstone around the ADs neck. Unless a particular shoe dog decides to finance it I don’t see any large capital project for Autzen given the existing debt payments hit on the budget. 

Aside: curious on people’s takes on alcohol sales at Autzen. I have not been a fan. I no longer drink, but even in 2018 and part of 2019 when I did, I was not pleased. The people around you get up constantly to go get more beer or to use the bathroom. The level of boorish behavior has skyrocketed, and this is coming from someone who specialized in sneaking in flasks and beers as a student and young adult. In 2018 someone much too wasted fell on me from the row behind, knocking out the large scalding coffee in my hands and I had to catch him from busting his head open. I also enjoyed leaving at halftime. They said alcohol sales would improve the experience, but I disagree. 

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

Autzen expansion had been a topic of discussion previously at board meetings - but that was during the height of Oregon football success and ticket demand. Both the decline of the on field product from 2015 and on combined with a general attendance drop through much of college football shelved any talk of that happening in the near future. If Oregon can string together some ultra successful seasons that could change that. As big of an issue the on field product is the same goes for the Pac-12’s scheduling so many night games and the lackluster OOC schedule. 

It’s difficult to beat TV when games start at 7PM, and if it’s November that isn’t particularly pleasant. Especially when about 60% of the fans come down from the Portland area. I’ve skipped games before where the start was too early for a bad game like Portland State in 2018, because I didn’t feel like getting up early on a Saturday to drive down and watch a blowout. I personally don’t mind the later games in warm September as we like to grab a few friends and get an Air BnB or a hotel and make a little trip out of it. 

The more realistic thing for the time being is more stadium improvements. We just got the biggest one asked for, the new sound system. Plus, the biggest video board in college football. I didn’t think it was needed but now it looks great and I can’t wait to experience that in person. If there is an expansion in the future that video board eliminated a prime piece of area to do it in, so any additions would be on the other side. 

As for MKA, it’s an NBA style arena that is beautiful but obviously won’t have the character of Mac Court. It’s also a financial millstone around the ADs neck. Unless a particular shoe dog decides to finance it I don’t see any large capital project for Autzen given the existing debt payments hit on the budget. 

Aside: curious on people’s takes on alcohol sales at Autzen. I have not been a fan. I no longer drink, but even in 2018 and part of 2019 when I did, I was not pleased. The people around you get up constantly to go get more beer or to use the bathroom. The level of boorish behavior has skyrocketed, and this is coming from someone who specialized in sneaking in flasks and beers as a student and young adult. In 2018 someone much too wasted fell on me from the row behind, knocking out the large scalding coffee in my hands and I had to catch him from busting his head open. I also enjoyed leaving at halftime. They said alcohol sales would improve the experience, but I disagree. 

Yes! Just imagine SHOUT being played on something slightly better than a mega boom box? 😁

As for booze and people getting up and causing a game vision ruckus....  Imagine if every fan on their smart phone could scan their ID, seat# and then Venmo the concession stand and that would prompt the closet beer vender to bring you a beer?  No one get's disturbed and the vendor closest, get's the tip through his I.D.#?

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

They said alcohol sales would improve the experience, but I disagree. 

I knew people who went to games for the beer, and that was back in the day when the interest in the games was higher than it seems to be now. Sleeping overnight outside to get in line for a ticket? Now, fans get their tickets on their phone. Aside from MKA not being conducive at all to a rowdy experience, there aren't any "deranged idiots" going to the games anymore.

The attitude of players have changed and so has it for the fans. Cameron Indoor has notoriety because it's the home court for Duke, the most pretentious team in the history of collegiate sports. The playoff has deteriorated the college football season. and basketball is "March Madness" for many.