Mike West

Is there any unit Oregon has as good as the units we’ve seen tonight?

Man,

Is there any Quarterback ready to step up to the level of play we’ve seen tonight on Our Beloved Ducks squad?

Any running backs that run and punish like those three teams above?

Wide Receivers?

Defensive Tackles?

Cornerbacks and Safeties?

We may have the lineman on offense.  Maybe the linebackers.  But that’s about it.  From what I saw tonight, there is a huge difference between us and the elite teams.  

Unless we absolutely trash Iowa State tomorrow, we are not going to get playoff consideration this year.

Any thoughts?

I was wrong: Our lack of experience would have hurt us against Ohio State last September had we played.  Not to mention, they have more depth and talent right now.

Mike....I suspect you may have some comments, some discussion to my article tomorrow for GameDay.

Did Ohio State win because they were tough, or because they were smart?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

LOL

This is year no... Next year maybe... 

Defensive end and linebacker are the two places where I think Oregon will rival the teams we saw tonight the soonest. 

Perhaps the secondary as well if that continues to improve. 

Offensively... I think the offensive line will develop into something that will be playoff worthy but so much of the offensive line is building chemistry and they NEEEDED a full spring and fall camp to gel. 

Quarterback, Recievers and runningbacks will need some help. With this last recruiting class Oregon has brought in the raw star power talent... Now it needs to develop. 

2021 will be the real test with a full off season. 

We will also get another taste of the offense tomorrow ... It has slowly opened up as the year has gone on... Need to see it take the next major step. Offensively Oregon is a long way from these teams... Defensively ... If we see them play to their potential (more akin to the usc game) they can give Oregon a fighting chance on a year or twos time. 

I'm very optimistic... And I have an article brewing for the early off season. 

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about because I didn't watch any football today.

Simple answer: No, we are not there yet.

Observation slightly off topic... It is great to see both Clemson and the Domers lose. Maybe the ACC isn't any better than the PAC.

I am rooting for tOSU to win it all.

52 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

Observation slightly off topic... It is great to see both Clemson and the Domers lose. Maybe the ACC isn't any better than the PAC.

The majority of the ACC isn't any better than the Pac-12... they just get teams into the playoffs.

And Clemson is pretty good still... not sure I would want Oregon to go up against them this year. Next year or the year after that I feel it will be a different story.

The winning teams have speed and know how to use it. These teams have 'explosive plays' we don't have, yet. 

The dimension of a Devon Allen or DAT, just isn't part of this Oregon offense. In 2021, I want a qb who can fling it, run it, but what I really want is that explosive player again!

Im just going to say that the Buckeyes looked very good. Their O line was very impressive.

I forgot to mention Justin Fields--  that kid will be playing on Sundays for a long time barring injury.

Breaking News! Texas, after beating Colorado in the Alamo Bowl, just fired Tom Herman. Alabama OC, Steve Sarkisian, is said to be the front runner to be the new coach. I believe that hiring Sarkisian would help Texas immensely. Since Brown left, the Longhorns have been treading water.

3 minutes ago, Jon Joseph said:

Oklahoma and not ND should have played Bama last night.

Just another example of ESPN deciding who, IS IN

The speed in which Alabama played with yesterday was awe inspiring. Chips teams came close but Bamas receivers and backs were something else. The physicality of those playoff teams would have shredded our current team. I'm thinking we are still a few years away from putting a team on the field that can compete with the elites.

The simple answers to your questions Mike is "NO". 

The Ducks offense just isn't anywhere near where those teams are at any of the positions you mention. In 2014 I never thought I would be saying something like this just 6 years later. 

I think it's the 2022/2023 playoff season before we maybe have the offensive pulse needed to compete, but there is a lot that depends upon that and by then we will be without Thibodeaux so that is a bummer.

The big thing depends upon whether Ty Thompson pans out the way many say he should and same with the big time receiver recruits we have coming in.

I am not too worried about the defense as the recruiting there looks pretty good, except for defensive lineman......which continues to be an achilles heel. I am also pretty confident that the O-line will bring whats needed to the table.

A big x factor for me is the running back situation. I still haven't seen any RB recruits who have the ability to be transformational the way Trey Sermon was last night.

2 minutes ago, Old Geezer said:

. I'm thinking we are still a few years away from putting a team on the field that can compete with the elites.

I agree. Alabama is in a class by itself. It is not understanding and respecting what Saban has created at Alabama to think that Oregon will be comparable anytime soon. As well as Mario has recruited here lately, his best ever class at Oregon, would be a dismal failure at Alabama. 
But, Mario has the team going in the right direction, and it just has to keep going.