Charles Fischer

The Coach Debate: Dan Lanning vs. Kalen DeBoer

The article link will not publish an article box in a forum post, but you can go to it this way.  Pretty sparse article, with not a lot of analysis, but I think he makes some good points and is fair. 

Some think Washington got some lucky breaks this year to get to 11 wins....like not playing USC or Utah.  And only because Smith at OSU eschewed the Field Goal, and our OC called a boneheaded play to injure our star QB did UW beat the Oregon teams.  DeBoer's experience did prevail in those, but for how long?  And the Huskies being No. 24 in 2023 for recruiting, and No. 59 thus far in 2024 is not going to cut it long term, IMHO.

Your thoughts?

Lanning and DeBoer.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

His Fresno St. almost beat us at Autzen, we had a lot more talent but coaching...not so much.  He is a good coach but yes, down the road our top 10 or better classes and good coaching will be too much for the purple pooch mutts to overcome.  Hope we blow them out in Seattle this fall.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, JDuck said:

He is a good coach but yes, down the road our top 10 or better classes and good coaching will be too much for the purple pooch mutts to overcome.

I hope so as well, because Oregon had 44 players who were 4/5-Stars at the time, and Fresno had ONE.  That is damn good coaching...  (Makes me want to hurl 🤢  writing that)

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

I was way more worried about the DeBoer hire than the Riley hire. 

DeBoer does more w less. Riley does less w more. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

They’re going into the season with a national championship mindset. Their passing game is pretty dynamic, but do they have the defense to pull off a Pac 12 championship to even get to the playoff? I don’t think so. Like this article states, they have USC, Utah, Oregon and OSU. All of those games will be shootouts.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. sounded confident and committed in an interview with ESPN, saying the Huskies, who authored a turnaround season last year, have set their...

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

"I hope so as well, because Oregon had 44 players who were 4/5-Stars at the time, and Fresno had ONE.  That is damn good coaching... "

I was very impressed with HOW Fresno St. played in that game.  They hustled, hit hard, played smart and played with a real edge.  They were not intimidated by playing at Autzen at all.  They were very well coached -- not only X's and O's but also the way they executed and played hard and played together.  I was definitely NOT thrilled when UW hired DeBoer.  I think he is the real deal.  I agree with Dr. Hilarious...  Hopefully Lanning can reach his level and surpass him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/17/2023 at 5:18 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

DeBoer does more w less. Riley does less w more

There is another coach in the conference that does far more with less and he lives much closer to Eugene. We don't need two Jonathan Smiths in the PAC!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 4/18/2023 at 8:19 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

There is another coach in the conference that does far more with less and he lives much closer to Eugene. We don't need two Jonathan Smiths in the PAC!

Smith is proving to me that he can transition from being an edge reliant, underdog mentality type coach into being a targeted program that continues to be successful. Deboer hasn’t gotten there yet.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2023 at 8:19 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

Make that three, IMHO.  What has been done in Salt Lake City with underwhelming recruiting classes is also amazing.  We have a ton of great coaches in the Pac-12...

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I think it is far too early to make a comparison. 

I especially want to see what happens this season when UW trips to Michigan State and Oregon trips to Texas Tech, the results of the UW at SC and SC at Oregon games, and of course, Oregon at UW. In 2024 I want to see which of the 2 coaches does the best in replacing a veteran starter at QB. Having Nix come in to play for an OC he played for at Auburn and Penix coming in to play for DeBoer, his former OC at Indiana was a big benefit for both coaches.

The recruiting numbers already speak for themselves and favor DL.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/17/2023 at 8:52 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

They’re going into the season with a national championship mindset. Their passing game is pretty dynamic, but do they have the defense to pull off a Pac 12 championship to even get to the playoff? I don’t think so. Like this article states, they have USC, Utah, Oregon and OSU. All of those games will be shootouts.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. sounded confident and committed in an interview with ESPN, saying the Huskies, who authored a turnaround season last year, have set their...

Great take but I see at least 2 of those games being grind-outs. At Oregon State and versus Utah.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:39 PM, JDuck said:

His Fresno St. almost beat us at Autzen, we had a lot more talent but coaching...not so much.  He is a good coach but yes, down the road our top 10 or better classes and good coaching will be too much for the purple pooch mutts to overcome.  Hope we blow them out in Seattle this fall.

How did this happen? Mario Cristobal, and DeBoer coaching up a darn good Fresno QB.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2023 at 11:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

How did this happen? Mario Cristobal

As I've said before....

Mario did not know what

he was playing with.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/18/2023 at 2:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

As I've said before....

Mario did not know what

he was playing with.

giphy.gif

Please help me up from the floor!

At least this cool cat looks like he could coach both sides of the ball.

• Haha 2