Jon Sousa

Ducks not in top 25??? REALLY?????

So the Ducks just one the PAC 12 regular season. There are two teams in the PAC 12 in the AP top 25. The PAC 12 regular season champions are not one of them.

The Oregon Ducks have a better record than 16 of the teams in the top 25. They also have the exact same record as BYU, a team that is also outside the top 25, but garnered 26 more points than Oregon.

Any thoughts?  

Oregon won 10 of the last 11 games. Does that count for nothing?

They aren't in the Top 25, but FWIW the Bracketologists have noticed, ESPN Joe Lunardi has moved the Ducks  from the dreaded 8/9 slot, 2nd game against a No. 1, to a 6, after beating the Beavers. A conference Tournament Championship could move them up even higher. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Yep it's a crying shame.  BUT, the only ranking that matters is after the last game of the NCAA tournament is played...

665695744_DUCKREAPER.jpg.dfb9b9392fb37ce2855af8707db92c35.jpg

43 minutes ago, nogerO said:

Yep it's a crying shame.  BUT, the only ranking that matters is after the last game of the NCAA tournament is played...

What I'm thinking is, how do we trust any of these polls?

17 teams above them have a worse record. Recent performance (10-1) counts?

49 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

What I'm thinking is, how do we trust any of these polls?

Indeed. Back in the day, the polls actually did mean something. In football, with the advent of The Playoff, the polls are completely useless. They're pretty irrelevant in basketball; "Brackentologists" have more insight in to how teams are being considered than do the Poll voters.

On a side note, because Arizona isn't competing in the tournament, OSU, by finishing in fifth place, gets to skip a first round game, and start on the second day. 

Very strange. These guys are passing the eye test right now, without a doubt. Their last two game films will put plenty of concern into any tournament teams they face at any seed level. Their big issue when it comes time to dance is their lack of size. Sure wish they would of gotten Big Frank some more time.

Ducks baseball got snubbed too. They put it to a 7th ranked team in four straight games last weekend. With Yovan and Zavala looking how they do I can see their club being ranked soon.

Lotta hate gets thrown out at the Pac-12 and particularly the Ducks.

Edited by C J

I almost started a thread on this, too. I don't follow college basketball THAT closely this year, but it's weird that USC and Colorado are both ahead of them.

I suppose it's because they haven't played many ranked teams, and it doesn't really matter, but it strikes me as just plain silly. Why have the polls at ALL if they don't matter?

• Thumbs Up 1

Unranked with little respect, just like the good old days. That is except the Ducks have one of the best coaches and a program with a recent history of doing damage in the tourney. It could be an interesting post season if a few teams look past the Ducks.

I think the pollsters don't like the close game wins.  Looking really bad against USC didn't help.  Win their 1st game in the P12 and they don't fall below a 6 seed.  Win the P12 tournament and I believe they could move up to a 4 seed. 

As it has been said before regular season basketball rankings mean very little.  It is nice to be recognized, but meaningless when we get down to it.  With the way the guys are playing, sweet 16 seems like the floor.

3 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

It could be an interesting post season if a few teams look past the Ducks.

I don't think any coach is going to look past the Ducks. They will get the most recent videos and they know Dana Altman.

With so many new pieces every year, little wonder it takes a while to get the team playing like a team. It seems like the buy in was a lot faster this year by the transfers. They came to Oregon to make a run in post season... and they knew that Altman's the guy to take them there. With guys in the NBA, and especially with PP,  who was under Altman for 4 years making the most noise, buying in ASAP makes sense.

2 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

Unranked with little respect, just like the good old days. That is except the Ducks have one of the best coaches and a program with a recent history of doing damage in the tourney. It could be an interesting post season if a few teams look past the Ducks.

We got them right where we want them. 

13 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

I don't think any coach is going to look past the Ducks. They will get the most recent videos and they know Dana Altman.

They know Dana Altman, but do the players respect, and listen to the coaches as much as they do the pundits. If the players next game might be against a higher ranked team, they often think about that rather than what the coach says.

I agree Dana's peers know what he has done and will do, but they can't get their players to do the same!

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

I agree Dana's peers know what he has done and will do, but they can't get their players to do the same!

We can certainly hope that is the case.    

Nothing to see here guys!

I absolutely love this! When Oregon was a 12 seed in 2019 and everyone thought there is no way that they'll get out of the first round. They ended up losing to the eventual champions but even that was a tight game. If they didn't disappear for three minutes they would have made the final four because Virgina just squeaked that game and the rest of their games out.

Back then only one of the pundits, from the west, said that Oregon is a scary 12 to face in the first round. I think the "East coast" bias works in the Ducks favor! Let's Go Ducks!

I don't know but wouldn't it help recruiting if they would be ranked consistently. Also can anything be done about East & middle bias

4 minutes ago, Duck 1972 said:

I don't know but wouldn't it help recruiting if they would be ranked consistently.

Altman and staff are doing an incredible job of recruiting and using the transfer portal. If they win the players will come no matter what their rank is.