30Duck

What Are The Ducks Getting In Tanner Bailey?

All Four Star Quarterbacks are not the same, Oregon knows that as well as anyone, turns out a 3 Star was pretty good. This article from wholeflockofducks.com looks at his strengths and weaknesses.

See the source image

The big question: Can Oregon keep all the horses it has in the QB stable ??  Time will tell. 

30 minutes ago, BigDucksFan said:

The big question: Can Oregon keep all the horses it has in the QB stable ??  Time will tell. 

No... Which is why the next few years of recruits are going to be critical. 

Oregon is really looking at a 3-4 year starter emerging this year. Brown may start the season but the current consensus is that he won't finish the season as the starter. 

So if one of those young quarterbacks gets the starting job then Oregon will lose quarterbacks in the room which will make bringing in young quarterbacks to be the back-ups or get a shot as a the future starter after riding the bench behind an established starter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Do we really have to lose these top notch QBs?

Matt Cassel never played a down of CFB.  Jalen Hurts was replaced AFTER winning a Natty.  Is logic forever gone?  Does emotion rule everything?  

Ashford can build a baseball AND football career.  Butterfield.  That’s the wild card.  Will he compete, or will he bolt? Does Butterfield have the character to build his skills to his best, let the chips fall where they may, and be ready as the best backup that could be a starter anywhere else.  

There is no doubt in my mind that the best QB in Moorhead’s system will be very lucky to play an entire season unscathed. Not to mention, there are plenty of strategic moves he can make to feature both the starter and an excellent backup every game.  Dabo did it (still lost his starter to Trevor Lawrence, but that was a career killer for Kelly Bryant).  

Bryan Bennett not only didn’t enhance his NFL opportunity, he wasted a shot at a Natty as a D-1 backup the year Mariota lost to Stanford because Bennett wasn’t there.  

Those examples alone are selling points we all can embrace.  There shouldn’t be any reason we lose an outstanding backup that has the character to be his best and stay prepared if he ends up number two.  Too many kids expect to walk into greatness.  Greatness is earned.  Just look at one of the GOAT:  Michael Jordan.  He wasn’t the greatest until he was a second year pro(and he wasn’t a champion for several years into his NBA career).

Greatness starts with handling disappointment.  THAT is one of the best tools to measure someone.  How do they deal with setbacks. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Chris neglected to mention two of Tanner's strong points. First and foremost he was tutored by his dad on how to play quarterback since he could walk. And his dad played at Auburn in the 1980's.

The other item is that he has the best mechanics of any of the QB'S in this recruiting class. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike West said:

There shouldn’t be any reason we lose an outstanding backup that has the character to be his best and stay prepared if he ends up number two.

That's the rub, I'm afraid. Cassel played a bit as a back-up at USC, but that in no way goes against your point. He stuck it out and ended up with an NFL career, different time. Now, and for Bennett, long range thinking isn't in play. The idea of, "the back-up QB is one play away" is foreign to most players now, and the transfer portal, makes it easy. if not tempting, to go somewhere else. 

13 hours ago, 30Duck said:

That's the rub, I'm afraid. Cassel played a bit as a back-up at USC, but that in no way goes against your point. He stuck it out and ended up with an NFL career, different time. Now, and for Bennett, long range thinking isn't in play. The idea of, "the back-up QB is one play away" is foreign to most players now, and the transfer portal, makes it easy. if not tempting, to go somewhere else. 

I did misquote one fact however...Jalen Hurts reached the Natty, but didn’t win it.  No matter.  The guy played a full season as a backup, and got the team to the Natty AS THE BACKUP.  Took Oklahoma to the CFP the next year.  Is the probable starter at Philly next year(if Philly is smart...that remains to be seen).

The transfer portal is actually a good thing...for the NFL.  It’s basically an elimination evaluator.  Players just don’t get that.  There’s usually a valid reason guys are backups (politics aside-see Tom Brady at Michigan for instance).  

Every player has their shot, up until their Pro Day on campus.  It is a coach’s job to fully educate his players on their options, including parents.  Believe it or not, getting to the NFL is a team game now.  Players can’t do it alone anymore.  

Another point is Michael Jordon was cut from his high school basketball team, didn't make the varsity. Those disappointments are what makes a man and a team player. Does a guy make excuses, quit, or does he double down on the effort and proactively listen to the criticism? That is what we need in our starter and our back-up. If a player chooses the transfer portal, good riddance.

I actually wonder what is going on with our qb recruiting. It has been said Butterfield isn't the right guy for Moorhead's offense, we then recruit another qb in Butterfield's mold, a pro style qb? A guy who is limited in his ability to make defenses pay for not respecting his ability to run.

Cristobal says he wants to do what Oregon has always done, but in a power mode. He then just does the power game without the innovative, dynamic play calling, with limited scoring. Cristobal then hires an RPO OC who wants a running qb and recruits another pro style qb. What is happening, and why is there a disconnect between what we hear, and what we see on the field, and in recruiting? 

I am not bashing this kid, Bailey or Butterfield. They both seem like great student athletes, and Ducks. I just wonder why we continue to recruit players who don't fit the offense we seem to want to build?

Is Cristobal an undisciplined recruiter, proned to go after the shiny object rather than the object one needs? The question has already been raised, repeatedly, is he just a stubborn play caller? Maybe this will be a problem going forward? I mean we have already had two pro style recruits transfer out this season. We now recruit another, with only one pro style qb left on the roster, and that one may be the next to transfer. I don't know the answer, but worth asking, right? 

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

I actually wonder what is going on with our qb recruiting. It has been said Butterfield isn't the right guy for Moorhead's offense, we then recruit another qb in Butterfield's mold, a pro style qb? A guy who is limited in his ability to make defenses pay for not respecting his ability to run.

What makes a pro-style different than a dual threat? The pro-style guy has to leave the pocket now and then. What does he do? He avoids tackles. He learns how to juke a defender.

Maybe a pro-style is pro-style just because his HS coach doesn't want his QB to run... especially when he doesn't have a decent back-up. 

The only difference I can see is natural ability. A true dual-threat has speed and a natural ability to avoid tackles. In most RBOs and "reads" the QB pulls the ball and runs for daylight. He doesn't have to juke anybody, especially if that side of the field is cleared out by the WR. Any pro-style guy can do this.

In a RPO style offense, the QB has to run sometimes, not to gain 100 yards per game, but to keep the defense honest. If the defender is "staying home" to watch the QB, that is one less guy available to chase the RB.

I see no problem with our recruiting QBs. I also think that in this case and for as long as he is at Oregon, Moorhead will have a big say in who they recruit at QB.

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

What makes a pro-style different than a dual threat? The pro-style guy has to leave the pocket now and then. What does he do? He avoids tackles. He learns how to juke a defender.

I see no problem with our recruiting QBs. I also think that in this case and for as long as he is at Oregon, Moorhead will have a big say in who they recruit at QB.

I would say the first question is the college game is quicker and the outcome of a hit is much greater if you can't avoid or juke a defender. If you want your qb to run, he better be pretty good at it at the college level. The difference between a Noah Sewell and a Haywarduck tackling you is huge!

The second question is one we may need an answer to, if we see more pro style qb's transferring. That question is much like who is calling for the 3rd down runs up the gut? Both may be happening at a rate that it is a legitimate question.

I keep looking at Joey Harrington and Jason Feeley... Feeley had by far the longer pro career, yet couldn't keep his starting gig at Oregon once JH got his chance.

4 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

Another point is Michael Jordon was cut from his high school basketball team, didn't make the varsity. Those disappointments are what makes a man and a team player. Does a guy make excuses, quit, or does he double down on the effort and proactively listen to the criticism? That is what we need in our starter and our back-up. If a player chooses the transfer portal, good riddance.

Cristobal says he wants to do what Oregon has always done, but in a power mode. He then just does the power game without the innovative, dynamic play calling, with limited scoring. Cristobal then hires an RPO OC who wants a running qb and recruits another pro style qb. What is happening, and why is there a disconnect between what we hear, and what we see on the field, and in recruiting? 

I am not bashing this kid, Bailey or Butterfield. They both seem like great student athletes, and Ducks. I just wonder why we continue to recruit players who don't fit the offense we seem to want to build?

Is Cristobal an undisciplined recruiter, proned to go after the shiny object rather than the object one needs? The question has already been raised, repeatedly, is he just a stubborn play caller? Maybe this will be a problem going forward? I mean we have already had two pro style recruits transfer out this season. We now recruit another, with only one pro style qb left on the roster, and that one may be the next to transfer. I don't know the answer, but worth asking, right? 

Well,

The SEC coveted him, and for good reason.  The guy makes quick decisions, uses his feet well, and throws the ball the way it needs to be thrown.   

I’m intrigued by your comment about MC though.  Does he recruit to suit needs, or just to get talent.  Is he deploying the old USC and UCLA model of years past (keep talent away from others as long as you can)?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mike West said:

Well,

The SEC coveted him, and for good reason.  The guy makes quick decisions, uses his feet well, and throws the ball the way it needs to be thrown.   

I’m intrigued by your comment about MC though.  Does he recruit to suit needs, or just to get talent.  Is he deploying the old USC and UCLA model of years past (keep talent away from others as long as you can)?

I say these things sometimes to just get people questioning what is going on. The logic of questioning the moves is there. If we have already lost two pro style qb's to the portal, have another who may move down the ladder, why recruit another?

I agree he throws a good ball, but we brought in an RPO OC who wants a running qb? One thing is for sure Cristobal can sell, but is it in the best interest of the kid and program. Again asking questions, not saying I know. I definitely don't know, much!

There must be something Moorhead really likes about this kid, as I believe he was recruiting him well before moving here to Oregon.  Just because he's considered a pro style QB doesn't mean he's a statue and can't move.  Numerous QB recruits are rated at some level as both a pro style and at a different level as a dual threat, though I don't know if this kid fits this senario.  Of the two pro style recruits that left, Millen was never going to move up the depth chart and Shough left because either he or the coach, or both, lost confidence with him on the field.  But at least he, as mostly a pro style recruit, got the chance to try to prove himself and play in Moorhead's offense.  His failure wasn't in his ability to move, rather his lack of confidence in what a pro style QB should be best at. 

I remember that during the first couple of games last year, that the announcers were saying how Shough was a "true duel-threat QB."  At the time I thought, "What a joke!", knowing that he was always considered a pro-style.

O-Live has an article out today that says that all of the QBs recruited under MC have been pro-style.

Interesting to look at the two QB prospects JM brought into Mississippi State while there:

Schrader and Mayden:

https://247sports.com/player/garrett-shrader-46038605/

https://247sports.com/player/jalen-mayden-56662/

And the graduate transfer QB Mississippi State took:

https://247sports.com/Player/Tommy-Stevens-35502/

And the QB at Mississippi State who probably had the most success during the JM period:

https://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Fitzgerald-33189/

It does appear JM has a certain type of QB recruit he looks for. (While not convinced QBs need to be broken into PRO/DUAL categories anymore as the distinctions between the two appear to be less and less in today's game) interesting to note all four were DUAL, while I believe JB, TT, and TB have all been PRO.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1