30Duck

Honors For Duarte And Omoruyi

Evan Mobley of USC was named Player Of The Year

POY_EvanMobley.png?itok=4c0o5O-i

The AP said it was Duarte

8 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

The AP said it was Duarte

Ha, ha, you just can't make this stuff up. 

Two different sites giving different players the same award.  Happens all the time.  AP gave it Duarte, Pac 12 gave it to Mobley.  I find it odd another site is handing out conference awards, but OK.

1 hour ago, Tandaian said:

Two different sites giving different players the same award.  Happens all the time.  AP gave it Duarte, Pac 12 gave it to Mobley.  I find it odd another site is handing out conference awards, but OK.

Only in the Pac-12

Congrats to Chris Duarte on being the AP player of the year! He improved so much while willing this team to a conference title, and it’s too bad the coaches awards didn’t match up. Past winners include Joe Young (14-15), Dillon Brooks (16-17), and Payton Pritchard (19-20) as Dana Altman coached players. Other Ducks with a claim to POTY are Ron Lee (75-76), Terrell Brandon (90-91), and Luke Ridnour (02-03). 

It’s really a shame that the Pac-12 coaches decided to politic with the conference awards. With Duarte being the AP winner this is yet another example of the anti-Oregon bias from the Pac-12 coaches. Just like with the football awards, we see how petty and jealous the other coaches are of Oregon. It’s too bad the ballots aren’t public, I’d be very curious to see the voting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

t’s really a shame that the Pac-12 coaches decided to politic with the conference awards. 

The POY for Duarte, Mobley is debatable, traditionally it has gone to Best team/Best player. The Coach is also tied to tradition, not going to the "best" team, but the one who overcame the odds.  Altman won his first Pac-12 COY in 12-13, the Ducks finished in second place. He won consecutively in 14-15 & 15-16. In 14-15, the Ducks finished second, 15-16,  bucking tradition, Oregon finished in First place. 

This season, USC finished in second place, and Enfield has won the COY. In the pre-season poll, Oregon was picked to finish in third, behind UCLA and ASU, USC was picked to finish in sixth place. 

33 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

...yet another example of the anti-Oregon bias from the Pac-12 coaches. Just like with the football awards, we see how petty and jealous the other coaches are of Oregon.

I love the Ducks being the hated ones! It makes me laugh...Give everyone else the accolades as long as the Ducks take home the trophies!

• Thumbs Up 1

Here, here. U think dana can or does use the disrespect as motivation?

There is an interview with Dana at the beginning of this season where he was asked why he doesn't tell all the "news" outlets how good his teams are? His reply? He would rather let his team show how good they are then to stand on a soapbox and tell everyone. Speak softly and carry a big whoop'em stick...

7 minutes ago, criticalduck said:

Speak softly and carry a big whoop'em stick...

Oregon went 5-1 in its last 6 games, the loss was to USC. USC went 3-3, W's over Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, L's to Arizona, Colorado, Utah. 

I think Altman is working towards the big award now. The small trophy's have been won, time for the big one!

I would imagine he is also proud of his players awards. There is no greater joy than watching your kids win.