Charles Fischer

My Spring Game Expectations: A Defense that REIGNS in Oregon

As much as I want to see an offensive display, a rolling out of the Will Stein offense--I don't think it is going to happen, (for two primary reasons) and upon reflection...I don't want it too!

Reason No. 1:

We must see improvement in the pass rush by the defensive line, as Lanning has made huge commitments in recruiting high school and portal transfer players specifically for that purpose.  At one time, (before all the transfers began) we had 12 players for the Edge Rusher spot when we needed four or five. The process of finding out who can play is key, and soon, for all the roster planning that has to take place later.

Thus you will have some very highly motivated young edge-rushers wanting to put on a show.

Add to that how one of the best offensive linemen is out for the Spring Game, (transfer Junior Aguilar) and how the experienced offensive linemen will be spread out over two offensive lines, thus some rookies are lined up to be schooled by Popo, Taki, Dorlus, Burch, etc. etc.  It will happen, as this is typical in a spring game.  Pass protection is hard.

Reason No. 2:

Whether you are Dan Lanning, Will Stein or a fan....do you really need to see what Bo Nix can do?  No, we know Bo. Thus, if it were me....after a few series with Nix...both sides will have newbie QBs running the show (and Ty Thompson) to see what they can do.  They are inexperienced at the speed of the game, pocket presence, panicking at key moments, as we see from all young QBs.

This to me shouts for a primarily defensive Spring Game that will disappoint most fans, but frankly--is what the team needs?  Thoughts?

But hey....I can be moved to a different
conclusion.
(And I'm often wrong!)

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

So, what we are hoping for is that "It (the defense) always reigns in Autzen Stadium."

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Offense equals excitement. I hope Stein’s offense creates problems for our defense. 

The biggest unknowns on offense revolve around the offensive line. Will they be able to gel together and overcome the loss of leadership from last years team. 

Going into last year, many thought the defense was going to be our strength. This year we are hoping to see big improvements from a squad that struggled at times. There are a lot of experienced players on the defensive side of the ball, with a good mix of players from the portal, and highly touted freshman recruits.

Defensively, I want to see a defensive line that can stifle a running game, and collapse the pocket on passing downs. I think the defensive line is going to be the key to how successful we are this year. 

Offensively, I want to see them play fast and move the chains. I also am interested in seeing a passing attack that stretches the field. Should be fun to watch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/28/2023 at 4:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

As much as I want to see an offensive display, a rolling out of the Will Stein offense--I don't think it is going to happen, (for two primary reasons) and upon reflection...I don't want it too!

Reason No. 1:

We must see improvement in the pass rush by the defensive line, as Lanning has made huge commitments in recruiting high school and portal transfer players specifically for that purpose.  At one time, (before all the transfers began) we had 12 players for the Edge Rusher spot when we needed four or five. The process of finding out who can play is key, and soon, for all the roster planning that has to take place later.

Thus you will have some very highly motivated young edge-rushers wanting to put on a show.

Add to that how one of the best offensive linemen is out for the Spring Game, (transfer Junior Aguilar) and how the experienced offensive linemen will be spread out over two offensive lines, thus some rookies are lined up to be schooled by Popo, Taki, Dorlus, Burch, etc. etc.  It will happen, as this is typical in a spring game.  Pass protection is hard.

Reason No. 2:

Whether you are Dan Lanning, Will Stein or a fan....do you really need to see what Bo Nix can do?  No, we know Bo. Thus, if it were me....after a few series with Nix...both sides will have newbie QBs running the show (and Ty Thompson) to see what they can do.  They are inexperienced at the speed of the game, pocket presence, panicking at key moments, as we see from all young QBs.

This to me shouts for a primarily defensive Spring Game that will disappoint most fans, but frankly--is what the team needs?  Thoughts?

But hey....I can be moved to a different
conclusion.
(And I'm often wrong!)

giphy.gif

Looks like it's raining cats and dogs! Fired Up for the spring game.