Mike West

Do we REALLY have the Juice?

So,

I’ve seen enough of the Fiesta Bowl to get a sense of my take on the 2020 season.  I’ve scoured the roster, including the 2021 Class.  I believe we have a sense of who our Head Coach is.

So my question today is: As an overall organization, Coaches, players, administration-do we have what it takes to make a real run this year, next or 2023- when every player is a Mario Cristobal recruited player?

I’m all about now.  In 2018, I said we could beat Auburn.  I said last year we could beat Ohio State.  I say we have enough talent (coaches and players) to beat the Buckeyes for the first time in our history.

So where do you stand?  What is your vision of a true contender this year? Next, and 2023. 

Does MC have to get over himself and let his staff excel?  Do the players have to play out of their minds with great direction from the staff?  Do the coaches mold their respective scheme to the talent base of the players?  

Do we have the juice? If not, why not.  If so, how could that be?  And what do YOU want to see (scheme, talent, effort...whatever matters to you most)?  I’ll share my thoughts once the posts pile up (I believe most of you know how much of a homer I am-I savor the brilliance you all bring to the table).

Carpe Diem

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm optimistic about this year, but I don't think we have the team to beat OSU just yet.

We don't know who our starting QB is going to be, and the top two options are a mediocre veteran or a guy right out of high school. It possible we'll be just fine there, but it's the most important position in football and our biggest weakness at the moment.

I also am not sure that our offensive line will be good enough just yet. I expect them to take a step up from last year, but the Buckeyes are probably going to be too much for them for our OL to push around very easily.

On the other side of the ball... it's going to be a big challenge at every level.

I like our chances against every team OTHER than OSU, and I don't like our chances there much at all.

I expect AB to surprise some people.

NC run?  Unfortunately, 2023 in my humble opinion is where the window may actually really open. Doesn't mean there won't be a lot to enjoy before then. I'd say too high an expectation in 2021 and 2022 is just gonna disappoint some people. Just the reality of where college football/Oregon football is at this point in time.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, AnotherOD said:

NC run?  Unfortunately, 2023 in my humble opinion is where the window may actually really open. Doesn't mean there won't be a lot to enjoy before then.

I find myself thinking the same. We could get into the playoffs this year and next, but best chance to win it all comes in 2023 and beyond. 

My reason? For the team to be truly MC's team, he has to be recruiting for at least 5 years.  Also, if the coaching needs an upgrade somewhere, it gives 3 years for that to happen. 

Downside to 2023 thinking: I like our chances with Moorhead, and he could be gone by then if the right job comes knocking.

15 hours ago, Mike West said:

Does MC have to get over himself and let his staff excel?

To me the "juice" or the raw material is there in terms of coaches and players, but there are so many components that are unknown right now--I just don't know.  You must have a great offense in college football today, and I do not know if Cristobal will swallow hard and do what needs to be done--when it is not what his base instinct is.  Some coaches can "see the light" and adjust--even when they don't like it.

Will Mario do that?  Unknown.

Cristobal after Husky win_Pac-12 Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

20 hours ago, Mike West said:

So my question today is: As an overall organization, Coaches, players, administration-do we have what it takes to make a real run this year, next or 2023- when every player is a Mario Cristobal recruited player?

So where do you stand?  What is your vision of a true contender this year? Next, and 2023. 

Does MC have to get over himself and let his staff excel?  Do the players have to play out of their minds with great direction from the staff?  Do the coaches mold their respective scheme to the talent base of the players?  

Do we have the juice? If not, why not.  If so, how could that be? 

Trying to be blunt and earnest I don't think we currently have the team. At least not for 2021.

Overall oregon has made significant strides in the recruiting trail. in the pac a lone i'd say we have the deepest QB, RB, OL, TE, DL, and LB core. But I don't think we beat the perennial powerhouses of tOSU, Bama, or Clemson. I also won't give Oregon the deepest WR or DB in the pac as I think USC has those but that is slowly changing.

As for the depth player personnel, I know a lot of people throw doubt at QB but personally I just don't know if we have enough to even throw doubt or excitement. It's possible any player could come in and excite but if it is a rookie we need to expect rookie mistakes and just hope they clean up as the year progresses.

My concerns at the personnel are based in two positions.

1: Safety, this has been our weakest recruited position by far. We have some really good talent their but by needing the 5th DB(Nickel) it has been spread thin. I think McKinley, Williams and Hill are all quality but we need to see if they can improve. hopefully David or bassa can contribute because I am also not fond of Happle of the bench...

2: Tight End, We have recruited well here the last few seasons, Herbert, Webb, and now Matavao and Ferguson. Yet despite this fact the development seems stalled. 2018 the TE's were rarely used outside of run blocking, 2019 Breeland was a powerhouse before injury and then no one could replace him and then 2020. Now 2020 is interesting due to the injuries at the position and that it seemed like Johnson could really take the position forward but it at least to me seemed stalled. I mean I ask myself what happened to Webb, he had a great catch against Auburn seemed primed to move as TE1 and then nothing. I remember Justin Herbert saying his brother was the better Athlete yet Herbert hasn't seen the field(I don't take this as fact but I also don't discredit that I think patrick probably is a good Athlete). Shouldn't we be questioning that once the depth was healthy that Kampmoyer was TE1 and why the other players haven't developed?

as for coaches my biggest question right now is about bobby williams, He is incharge of TE's and special teams. at this point both appear to be failing and I'd argue that it is now due to the coaching and not just the available talent.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, UtahDuck said:

as for coaches my biggest question right now is about bobby williams, He is incharge of TE's and special teams. at this point both appear to be failing and I'd argue that it is now due to the coaching and not just the available talent. 

Back to the question of "are the coaches up to the talent level of the players ??"

• Thumbs Up 1

We have the talent but the player development and schemes on the offensive side of the ball are lacking.  I'll give Moorhead a mulligan for this year but he's got a lot to prove next year.  If the defense is not dominant, then we won't win the south.  For better or for worse, we're a defensive oriented program under MC. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ptdduck said:

For better or for worse, we're a defensive oriented program under MC. 

That's just crazy.  Not what you wrote, (because it is true) but how MC has killed our tradition of high-scoring offenses that goes back to Mike Bellotti.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

6 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

we're a defensive oriented program under MC. 

I agree, but the thing is we need to be both to compete with the teams that are winning the NC's. Without a potent offense we are in the wilderness when it comes to competing for a NC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can we please stop using the term "juice?"  It's so Slick Willie...

GO Ducks!!!

pre.jpg.3e5f51012a7796cb2661f90725126ab4.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1