Charles Fischer

Southwest Airlines to Eugene: A BOOST for Oregon Athletics?

Yesterday it was announced in the Eugene paper that Southwest Airlines, the great discount airline, is going to begin flights to and from Eugene in the second half of this year.  To me, this could be a huge development for Oregon athletics on a number of fronts.  Whoa!

--It will become cheaper for Oregon fans to come to not just football games, but other sporting events, or combine several sports in their visit at once?

--It will enable parents and family of players to come to games and visit their son or daughter student-athlete at Oregon more often.  Could this be a game changer with some distant recruits?

--This could destroy the traffic for other airlines coming to Eugene, and limit the number of flights from other carriers?  The new American Airlines flight that is direct from Dallas, Texas to Eugene is important for Texas recruiting--and could it be jeopardized?

I have been hoping for YEARS for SW to come to Eugene, and I feel this could really open the floodgates of more Oregon fans visiting, of which could have a big impact on the community.  What other ramifications have I missed?  Am I exaggerating the impact?  (Calm down Charles)

Southwest Airlines announces they will begin booking… | Budget Travel

Mr. FishDuck

Hopefully it is a huge boost for the Ducks, and Eugene, as well.

I honestly haven't flown Southwest since my flight was delayed in Phoenix, and they decided to put us all up at a hotel adjacent to the ASU  campus, on a party weekend... Let's just say, nobody got any sleep, that night!