Charles Fischer

Lanning Post-Game Comments: 'I’ve Got a Standard That I Think We Should Play At'

On the first quarter and the impact that it had:

“Disappointing, it was a disappointing first quarter for me. I’ve got a standard that I think we should play at, and it really doesn’t matter who we’re playing, and we didn’t play well enough there to start. It’s hard when you play good teams and put yourself in that hole, I think we have to learn from that. You have to learn from wins as you do from losses, we won the game today but there's a lot we can learn, especially earlier in that game we can execute better.”

On the annoyance of penalties on Oregon players:

“That annoyed me.”

On players adjusting after a rough start:

“It was similar to what Trevor brought up earlier about the next play. You can’t live in the past but that means you can learn from your mistakes, so when we make a mistake let's not make the same mistake. Good teams don’t make the same mistake, and we looked like we made a lot of different mistakes today. We have to eliminate that we have to get to the next play and make sure we don’t shoot ourselves in the foot. That happened too much today.”

The Oregon Ducks take on the California Golden Bears at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Oregon on November 4, 2023 (Eric Evans Photography)

On the defense limiting Cal’s run game and offensive strengths:

“I thought we should have held them to less. Again, our standard isn’t based on everybody else. I thought our coaches had a good plan, I thought we didn’t execute it as well as we could have. Some of the tempo can create that for them when they go fast. We had moments where we had great knockbacks at the line of scrimmage, we had guys separating from blocks and we had moments when we didn’t, so we’re going to coach those. I’m not a stats guy, I don’t really get hung up on that. Some great plays can happen, and I want to see us tackle well, I want to see us get off of blocks, that’s our standard.”

On Camden Lewis’s range and decision to put him out there:

“I’d say that’s probably the edge. I just want to take a chance, you're kind of in no-man's land. You could go for it on fourth, it’s a longer fourth where you're probably not going to have a ton of success. You could potentially do a pooch punt or do a punt with Bo like we’ve done in the past. But that was a moment where it was like, ‘let's see what we can do.’ There's a lot of wind at moments in the stadium today, I think it flipped directions but wanted to give him an opportunity to put points on the board.”

On Tez’s potential while recruiting him:

“I probably recognized it more so in practice. We knew he was a talented player, definitely knew he was a talented returner, that’s something that showed up on his film before. Was glad to see that show up today, and he executed a high-level day. He’s got speed and he’s got talent, it shows up in practice and shows up in games.”

Addressing and limiting the mistakes made in the first quarter:

“It only matters when it matters. We don’t want it to be the reason it hurts us so it's really important we fix those quickly. We’ve done a good job of addressing issues throughout the season where we say, ‘hey we need to fix this,’ so were going to do the same thing this week.”

The Oregon Ducks take on the California Golden Bears at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Oregon on November 4, 2023 (Eric Evans Photography)

On overcoming self-inflicted mistakes:

“It speaks to what kind of team we are capable of being. Even though there were some things that were really positive, there are some things we can certainly get better at. We aren’t going to rest on the results. We aren’t a result-oriented team, we are a process-oriented team. I’m going to continue to focus on the process. Did a good job on third down, but doing a better job at third down is preventing third down. There are some things we can really improve on, and we will continue to focus on.”

On if anything Bo does surprises him anymore:

“The throw he had to Tez Johnson, my heart stopped for a little bit. That was an interesting one where he was able to adlib and create something out of nothing. I thought that was a big-time play by him. I don’t know what he had today, six touchdowns, I mean that’s pretty impressive. Anybody who is watching Bo right now knows he is playing at a high level. He’s a competitor. He makes us different and certainly makes this team better.”

On creating the Dave Willcox postseason award:

“He was an exceptional player and the more I learn about Dave the more you learn about an exceptional human. It means a lot to this program. His son has played here, and family means a lot to them. What he has given to the name of football and to the University of Oregon is something we really cherish, and we want to honor in the future.”

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck