Chas Man

What? Washington Best O-Line in the Country?

I just saw the U.W. won the Moore award for the best O-Line in the country. How did this happen? I don’t recall them having stellar recruiting classes. How good is that coaching staff Debour has assembled, and why aren’t they being pilfered like our staff is every year?

Thankfully we get them at Autzen next year!

Go Ducks

Edited by Chas Man

Well I hate to admit it but they did handle our defensive line in the last game quite easily so maybe they are that good. We will find out soon.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/21/2023 at 9:01 PM, Just Ducky said:

Just Ducky, In response to your comment regarding the UW O-Line winning the Joe Moore Award (Best O-Line in college D-1 football), you stated, "...but they [UW O-Line] did handle our defensive line in the last game quite easily so maybe they are that good. We will find out soon."

Yes, the Huskies O-Line is very good. For some reason, the football coach before Coach DeBoer rarely played his best O-Line. The Huskies recruited well (Rosengarten from Colorado was a player the Ducks wanted), but their O-Line coach was a poor judge of players and application of technique. Fortunately for UW, I believe that coach was fired. So, the Husky O-Line players are better than most thought. So, let's figure out how to improve both lines, do so, and let's beat their team.

The way the Huskies RB (Dillon Johnson (a transfer from Miss St) came crashing through our D-Line in the PAC-12 Championships game was impressive. Usually, one of our defensive players hit their RB after he crossed through the LOS by a yard; but our players rarely wrapped up, and the RB kept churning for another 6 yards. That was the worst defensive tackling I saw the Ducks execute this past year. Of course, the Husky O-Line had a lot do with that, and our D-Line and LBs know to succeed one must defeat any attempts to block them.

This Ducks team had been the best tackling team I had ever seen at Oregon. The Ducks need to regain that sure, wrapping-up style of physical tackling for this Bowl game if the Ducks want to win this game. Don't waste time striking our opponent! Wrap him up and put him down!

I hope our RBs learned a lesson from the Husky's RB. Keep those thighs and feet churning for yards, and don't stop until our opponent stops you cold! That new RB from NW Missouri by way of the TP may be exactly what the Duck doctor has ordered (but not for us for this season).

So, to return to your Husky O-Line comment, yes, their O-line award was deserved based on their play against the Ducks in the championship. The Ducks outplayed UW up in Seattle, but not in Las Vegas. Those were the O-Lines the voters watched to see which O-Line performed like a champion, which one was best; and in Las Vegas, their O-Line outplayed our Ducks O-Line. That's where Bo lost the Heisman; he was the clear leader before the game.

When teams get to the championships and Bowls, they play like a Champion, or they go home a loser. The stakes are high - reputations are cemented or lost, and they cannot be recovered until the next championship year, if even then. 

Let's go, Ducks! Play like the champions you are! But, you must coach and play like champions the whole game - no let-downs! Out-think our opponent. Don't do what our trends have been in tactics and plays. We have a bad habit starting out - going too slow. We have the QB and receivers! Throw them the ball past the 1st down marker. Traeshon showed everyone the answer at the end of the last game.

Go Ducks! Beat the Liberty Flames! VR, KCDuck1

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Washington had historically good O-lines until their fall from grace to have 12 losses in a row to the Ducks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2023 at 6:35 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

Washington had historically good O-lines until their fall from grace to have 12 losses in a row to the Ducks. 

It’s time to restore order in the universe and begin the next 12 year beat down. 

Go Ducks and Hook Em Horns!

• Thumbs Up 1

Undefeated season, beat OBD twice... credit where credit is due. 

Eww,... I feel dirty now. 🤮

🦆🎄☃️❄️🏈🏟️🏆👍🏻

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hats off to COY DeBoer and the UW OL which did a great job of protecting Penix and came on in the run game as the season progressed. It is nice for a Left Coast 'finesse team' to win this award. The Frosh who stepped in as the starting center for UW is undersized but made the Frosh AA team. That's some darn good coaching.

Over on the Michigan board, folks are not happy about the Wolverines not winning the Moore back-to-back. Come on! In the B1G champ game, Michigan rushed for less than 3 yards an attempt. The UW OL dominated the Ducks at the LOS in the Pac-12 champ game. I think that the 'All World' behemoth Texas DL will be schooled in the Sugar Bowl. 

But looking down the road, ESPN has UW with the 43rd-best recruiting class in 2024. Oregon 3, Ohio State 4, PSU 10, Michigan 16, USC 18, Nebraska 20, and Wisconsin 25 all have a B1G recruiting leg up compared to the Huskies. (BTW, The Chipper brought in UCLA at No. 58. But it's tough to recruit in LA, right?)

Oregon is about to once again dominate UW. In 2024, I see no worse for the 13-game schedule Ducks than an 11-2 finish and advancing to the 12-team PO field with a good chance at a first-round home game in Autzen.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 2

A bit OT. Where will Bo and Penix go?

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

North Carolina's Drake Maye and USC's Caleb Williams are the overwhelming favorites to be the first two quarterbacks selected in the 2024 NFL draft. They…