Dave23

Ducks vs Arizona Basketball Game Thread

Arizona has started off strong but the Duck are stepping with some D. Evan is looking good keep it up boy.

Just want to say thank you to the pit crew for getting Love in his groove, good job guys!

Need to hit shots and can't turn the ball over, a very sloppy game on offense and defense for the Ducks, not looking like our game, going to have win the tournament to get in.

Subtraction from addition 

I don't think it's that, we still played a lot with Diawara, we're playing much better teams, we don't really have a great 3/4 option, Arizona is a good team that have gone bonkers from deep, and we've gone stone cold from outside.

Doesn't help that Shelsted is basically a non-entity now.  I'm not putting him down, he's going to figure it out, but we went from getting 14-20 points to now around 5, and he isn't a good defensive player right now.

We’re obsessed with going inside, guard play is what actually matters and I think our chemistry has been submarined. Shelsted will not score 15+ with this lineup. The D and transition game have gone downhill. Arizona lost on the road to OSU and WSU…this ain’t good.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I get that, I think it's a catch 22, without Dante I think we get absolutely obliterated inside by all the teams we've played post WSU bar ASU, all of those teams have bigs who I think would have really caused us problems.  Bello today I think would have dominated inside if we didn't have Dante, so it's pick your poison.  In the future I think Altman does his best work with a springy defensive focused post in the mold of Bell/Wooten/Boucher, those types.

I do think playing better teams has made the transition look worse than it is.  If we had played the Utah and Colorado in the first week I think we still lose both games, if we played the Arizona schools I think we lose both.  It took an insane shooting performance to beat WSU, the type of shooting performance you see only about one or two times a year.  

I still like the team more than past years, but we've shown that we aren't quite as good as I think we hoped we would be with Dante and Bittle.  If Bittle is going to play then he has to start being able to shoot the basketball, right now it looks like he can't shoot, so he's a bit of a liability on offensive since he can't really be a threat.  

KJ Evans is a real key to the season, he's only player who can play the 4 with athleticism and length, you see what the player (Williams) at Colorado provided, we need a bit of that from Evans.

It's unfortunate that we had the injuries we had, we haven't been able to find that chemistry with everyone available, but it's really difficult to sit a guy like Dante who is so talented.

• Great post! 1