NJDuck

Dana Altman Addresses His Future with Oregon and Rumors of Retirment

Oregon head coach Dana Altman discusses the rumors of a potential retirement.

Dana Altman will complete his 14th regular season as head coach of the Oregon men's basketball program this weekend, and despite some rumors and whispers he could be close to retiring, Altman is committed to coaching at Oregon for the extended future.

"I don't know who said it, I know I didn't," said Altman.

ESPN.com reported last week that the 65-year-old Altman was rumored to be considering retirement. CBSSports on Tuesday reported as well that Altman could be considering it. 

That's news to Altman as he remains steadfast in leading the program he's built up at Oregon.

"I haven't talked to anyone, so whoever is saying that, it's pure speculation," said Altman. "I'm not going anywhere, unless this school tells me to. I'm not retiring, that's for sure."

Oregon could potentially have a young and exciting program heading into the 2024-25 season. Freshman point guard Jackson Shelstad is poised to be a Pac-12 All-Freshman this season, while fellow freshman forward Kwame Evans could also play his way into that all-conference team as well. Juniors Nate Bittle, Jadrian Tracey, and Ben Rigsby all have years of eligibility and have been starters throughout different parts of their careers. Seniors Kario Oquendo and Keeshawn Barthelemy could also return for their extra COVID year if they choose to do so.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon head coach Dana Altman discusses the rumors of a potential retirement.

• Thanks 1