Charles Fischer

Pitching Collapses, Ducks Shelled 19-7

Our Diamond Ducks (26-10) have a series beginning tonight at 6:05 PM against Stanford, and I am wary of a team that could mess up our NCAA Tournament chances.  They are 15-19, but have won series against the Huskies, the Cougars and beat the Bastard Beavers in a game just last weekend.

The 'Furd, in their Sunken Diamond are good enough to beat Oregon, yet if we play our best--another series is there for the taking.  Coach Waz said it well recently, when he acknowledged that Oregon is a "good" team, but not a great team yet.  The upside is there, and both the pitching and hitting overall have improved, although certain games we stink it up in a category or two.

Below are the current conference standings, and if Oregon can keep winning series--it all sorts itself out.  Arizona has Utah, Stanford and Oregon State left to play, while Utah has the Ducks, Arizona, UCLA and USC.  We have a shot at the championship, or at least a very high second place that could assure hosting a regional.  Gotta win this series!

Standings.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I found out that tonight is Stanford's annual "Fireworks Night," and I hope that ends up being the Oregon bats!

The Ducks send out RJ Gordon (5-2) 3.58 ERA vs. the 'Furd's Matt Scott, (2-6) 3.93 ERA.  I checked the stats on both teams for batting, and here is what I found:

Stanford has four batters over .300 with one knocking on the door.

Oregon has seven batters over .300 with one knocking on the door.  (I need to add that not all of the seven play at the same time)  Let's Go Ducks!

Double Play!

Double Play_Eric Becker.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

After two innings, Oregon leads 2-1.

We have had some excellent fielding which prevented more scoring as we caught a base runner between first and second, and a fantastic throw from left field by Chase Meggers to get the runner trying to stretch to second!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ducks up 4-1 after three innings!

Excellent plate discipline, as a number of Oregon batters starting 0-2, made great decisions to walk or get a hit.  ‘Furd pitcher has a VERY high pitch count.

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

‘Furd now leads 7-5 after four innings.

RJ Gordon had a rough inning…a disaster,

Mr. FishDuck

Good Gosh, they left Gordon in!

9-5 Cardinal after five innings.

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/19/2024 at 9:02 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Good Gosh, they left Gordon in!

Why do they do this? I feel like the Coaches tend to leave struggling pitcher in longer than seems pertinent. 

The bullpen is deeper this year than in years past with some pretty good mid relievers. 

If I remember a game not to long ago, I believe it was Gordon, who hit four batters and they still left them in.

No change after six innings.

Mr. FishDuck

End of seventh inning, down 10-5 with Featherston in relief,

Mr. FishDuck

10-7 Stanford after 7.5 innings. 

Mr. FishDuck

The inning, the pain, would not end. A terrible, terrible night for Oregon pitchers, as Stanford leads 19-6 after eight innings.

Wowsa.  Where are my IPAs?

Mr. FishDuck

19-7 the final.

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, yeah you were right.  But...please STOP predicting trap games 🤣