Jon Joseph

College Football - 100 Days 'Till Dublin

And get ready for a Vandals invasion on 8/31.

WWW.ESPN.COM

With 100 days until Florida State and Georgia Tech kickoff in Ireland it's time to get excited about what's ahead: From new conference games to a new playoff.

• Applause 1

On 5/16/2024 at 8:56 AM, Jon Joseph said:

And get ready for a Vandals invasion on 8/31.

WWW.ESPN.COM

With 100 days until Florida State and Georgia Tech kickoff in Ireland it's time to get excited about what's ahead: From new conference games to a new playoff.

Can’t wait!

Great to see the coach of a team destined for another 4-8 season featured in such a beautifully rendered drawing. Scoreboard.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Posted (edited)

Athlon - 6 most improved CFB teams in 2024.

Miami? I'll believe it only when I see it. The 8/31 opener at Florida is a 'prove it' game for UF's Billy Napier and Mari(o.) The UF QB transfer from Wisconsin, Grahm Mertz, played well for the Gators last season and is back in 2024. Will Cam Ward play up to expectations for Miami?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-most-improved-teams-for-2024#gid=ci02dd8324300026ce&pid=college-footballs-most-improved-tea

VA Tech is my dark, dark horse to win the ACC. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

I agree with this take. There will be more furor over who's in and out with a 12-team PO field than a 4-team field.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-insiders-new-challenges-committee-12-team-playoff

The Ducks, not the Buckeyes, picked to win the B1G!

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

Conference championships are always a marquee goal, but these titles take on extra meaning in 2024 and beyond. As the College Football Playoff expands to 12…

Get your popcorn and Guinness, ready!

WWW.NCAA.COM

Here's everything you need to know for the start of the 2024 college football season. The first games are scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 24.

On 5/16/2024 at 10:27 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I agree with this take. There will be more furor over who's in and out with a 12-team PO field than a 4-team field.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-insiders-new-challenges-committee-12-team-playoff

Yeah, but as I keep saying, it's irrelevant, because the probability of accidentally leaving out the team that would have won it all drops by roughly 2/3rds, which is what really matters.

I mean Georgia, Oregon and OSU could have won it all last year in a 12 team playoff right? But we'll never know. That alone is reason enough to ignore the whiners next year, which is what I think will happen. It's media fodder but in general people won't be paying nearly as much attention to the outrage next year when the relevance towards outcomes is diminished substantially.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2024 at 11:39 AM, Solar said:

Yeah, but as I keep saying, it's irrelevant, because the probability of accidentally leaving out the team that would have won it all drops by roughly 2/3rds, which is what really matters.

I mean Georgia, Oregon and OSU could have won it all last year in a 12 team playoff right? But we'll never know. That alone is reason enough to ignore the whiners next year, which is what I think will happen. It's media fodder but in general people won't be paying nearly as much attention to the outrage next year when the relevance towards outcomes is diminished substantially.

I think it really depends on who it is that is "left out". Hard to top the fervor over FSU last year. 9-3 Oklahoma State finishing #13 probably won't upset anyone not in Stillwater. 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

On 5/16/2024 at 2:39 PM, Solar said:

I do not think that the team ranked No. 12 by the committee will accept being replaced by a G5 team. I don't think teams ranked 3 and 4 will be happy about being bumped out of the top 4 by lower-ranked ACC and B12 teams and having to win 3 and not 2 games to make it to the champ game.

And teams ranked 7+8 knocked out of a home game by the ACC and B12 champs, if the champs are ranked lower, will not be happy about playing the first-round game on the road instead of at home.

Your macro view is spot on. But the format for the playoffs in 2024 and 2025 is such that there will be several unhappy campers.

How about a 10-2 Notre Dame knocking out a 10-3 team that lost in its conference champ game? This happens to Oregon and I will be a very ticked-off Ducks fan. 

That the playoff format will change in 2026 is a safe bet. 

• Great post! 1