Jon Joseph

Has Conference Expansion Helped or Hurt your Team's Chances of Winning?

Posted (edited)

Here's an answer from The Athletic's Stewart Mandell.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Is your team better or worse off in the new college football landscape taking effect this year?

USC is not the flavor of the month.

Edited by Jon Joseph

OK, Stewie is all over the map in the manner in which he applies his definition of College Football's New World Order. Here's an attempt to find some order in his grading.

Pac-12 - Only Oregon and CU receive positive grades leading me to believe that Stewie has no idea how superior the coverage of B1G teams will be than was the coverage of teams in the Pac-12. No recognition of East Coast Bias from Stewie. Even SC post-Carroll had but for Williams Heisman QB play, fallen off of the national map. I would have had all four schools headed to the B1G no lower than +2.

-5: Cal, Oregon State, Washington State. The latter two likely deserve a -10. From P5 to what exactly? Neither Pac-2 team will be treated as a Power Conference team for the next two seasons and not after the reverse merger with the MW or wherever these two end up. -4, Stanford and UCLA, -3, ASU, -2 USC, UW, and Arizona, -1 Utah, +1 CU, and +2 OREGON. For Oregon, I'm going with +4.5. The only concern is playing against Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. Oregon recruited against all three before and being in the B1G helps when going against these three for top drawer recruit.

B1G - Ohio State is +5 and Oregon is +2? Ohio State benefits from the B1G adding a program that can compete with Ohio State and at least in the last outing, went toe-to-toe with and defeated the Buckeyes in Columbus. Ohio State benefits by traveling to the the Left Coast to play teams that are all better than the bottom of the B1G. Ohio State benefits by not playing Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan State, and Indiana every season. Stewart, I don't think so. 

Always a playoff bridesmaid 10-2 Penn State benefits from being free from the East Division. but I do not believe the same is true for Michigan and Ohio State. 

Iowa -4? Stewart, Iowa is officially out of the West Division shelter; however, Iowa is the only B1G school with three permanent opponents and all are from what once was the West Division: Minnesota; Nebraska; and Wisconsin. One-third of Iowa's opponents every season are in the same time zone. Penn State has no protected opponents. Iowa's in-conference schedule and travel will vary much less than PSU's and all other B1G teams with fewer than three protected opponents. 

SEC - I do not see how any SEC team benefits from having Oklahoma and Texas join the SEC. In 2024 and 2025, Georgia will play Texas away, and at home, Alabama will play in Norman, and Oklahoma in Tuscaloosa in 2025. Georgia is no longer assured of playing South Carolina and Vanderbilt every season. Alabama is no longer assured of playing Mississippi State and Arkansas every season. 

Neither Alabama nor Georgia had much of a problem making a 4-team playoff so how are they benefitted from the playoff moving to 12 teams?  Moving to 12 teams means winning at least one or two more games to win a championship.

B12 - YAWN.

ACC - Be sure to catch the shot Mandel took at Mari(o.) It is familiar.

Let's Play Ball!