Jon Joseph

Counting Down the Minutes Before The 4th of July Fireworks

Posted (edited)

Here are a few 'Revolutionary War' facts not generally known.

One of the first persons killed in the Civil War, in the 'Boston Massacre" in 1770 was the free black man Crispus Attucks.

It has nothing to do with me but Being Here, but my ancestor John Adams at his and his family's risk and a significant economic loss to his legal practice was the defense counsel who somehow won a 'Not-Guilty' verdict from a Boston jury in front of his cousin, Sam Adams, the Sons of Liberty, and a biased jury of Bostonians.

The Tax Act that led to the Boston Tea Party lowered taxes on tea. However, it gave a monopoly on the Tea Trade to the East Indiana Company and the Company's armed merchant ships. This did not sit well with John Hancock and Sam Adams who were at the top of Boston's tea smugglers.

My fellow Bowdoin alum, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, 'The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere' helped make Paul famous. Paul set off for Concord and Lexington along with William Dawes and Doctor Samuel Prescott.  Paul fell off of his horse. Dawes got lost. Sammy was the one who informed the Lexington and Concord militias that 'The British are Coming!' But Revere was easier to rhyme than Dawes or Prescott. BTW, among many other pursuits, Paul was a dentist.

Private and slave, Prince Estabrook, was a member of the Concord Militia and was wounded at the Battle of Concord. Estabrook served in the Colonial Army from 1775 to 1783 and passed in 1830 at the age of 88 to 89. Like Crispus Attucks, he was considered a Hero of the Republic. 5% of the Continental Army was comprised of Black soldiers.

The Battle of Bunker Hill was fought on Breeds Hill. 'Molly Pitcher's' name was Mary Hays. Mary passed in 1832. Mary was only one of the many women who bore arms on behalf of the Continental Army.

3200 copies of the original Declaration of Independence were printed. 

The author of the Declaration, Thomas Jefferson was the Ambassador to France at the time the Constitution was drafted and approved. A staunch opponent of Alexander Hamilton and the Federalists, Jefferson was appalled by the power the Constitution gave to the federal government. He was never again on friendly terms with George Washington and his relationship was John Adams was strained for decades.

Both Adams and Jefferson died on July 4, 1826, 50 years to the day the Declaration was made public. Adams was 90, Jefferson 83. Not knowing that Jefferson had predeceased him, Adams's last words were: 'Jefferson lives.'

The American Revolution was the longest 'USA' conflict up to The Vietnam War.

God Bless America. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 5

All Right! DK is in the house! Let the fireworks begin!

• Whew! 1

On 7/4/2024 at 8:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

All Right! DK is in the house! Let the fireworks begin!

Puzzling? Yes.  Meant to correct Sir D Moore being referenced in the lede before Danno added Moore to the 2025 haul. INCREDIBLE!

This was my weak effort at correcting 'the record.' As my ancestor Adams is noted for saying: 'Facts are stubborn things.' 'So. get it right, Junior!'

The Fact is: Danno wins, Sark takes the L! 😍