Solar

2024 Will Begin the B1G Transition to a League of Offense.

To the mid, even late 2010's the SEC was the League of Defense.

After Tua won the NC with his arm in 2018, the transition to a League of Offense began in earnest.

I think the B1G has been in dinosaur mode using bad weather as a crutch to refuse to change (I just saw an amateur YouTube video where a group of guys rated Ohio State as the best offense for 2024 primarily because of their "two amazing running backs), which culminated in them being the League of Defense (it takes 2 to tango, meaning they had bad offenses help make their defenses look better).

Ohio State has been the lone driver of high powered offenses for a decade, but other teams just dismissed it as a talent advantage, not worth trying to replicate it.

I think the addition of the West Coast teams' offensive aggression, the changes taking place at Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska, that 2024 will be the year the B1G begins changing to a League of Offense.

If you can't score, you can't win against offenses that can't be stopped.

This is the year those that haven't learned that will certainly learn it, and those that have seen the writing on the wall will be implementing necessary changes.

Edited by Solar
  • Applause 1

I can’t wait to see what Oregon’s offense is able to do against the B1G defenses this year.

That said, it will probably take years for the majority of B1G teams to transition to modern offenses.  

Edited by OregonDucks

I agree that programs like Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, and Rutgers like to play conservatively. But I think that's primarily because they either can't recruit the speed to keep up with high octane offense, or they truly are stuck in a line of old school methodology. Kirk Ferentz fits that last part.

I would say slinging it around the park is the way due to rule changes promoting scoring. But you still have to play a little defense when it matters. Michigan proved that against Washington in the title game. USC and Oklahoma under Lincoln Riley have proven this.

Michigan has beaten Ohio State because they've shortened the games, and ran it down their throats(along with cheating) because they don't have the speed to go up and down the field with their athletes. I think Oregon under Lanning has all the tools to play either way. We've lost to Washington because of trying to play their game imo. That three game losing streak is in their heads. Lanning knows this.

But back to the topic. I think Oregon, USC, Washington, and UCLA will change this conference. The B1G will change us though as well. The SEC didn't change because Missouri and Texas A&M came in from the pass happy Big 12. Missouri actually has become a more physical and defensive minded program in fact. The SEC changed because Joe Burrow lit them up, and just better QB play overall.

I think the B1G will force the Western incomers to change, just like the four newcomers will change the way Iowa has to look at what they have to do to remain relevant. There are no more easy passes to a western B1G division title. Now you gotta beat the big boys to get to Indy.