OregonDucks

Was QB Dillon Gabriel "Run Out of Oklahoma"?

WWW.YAHOO.COM

After a whirlwind of news and quotes about his departure from Oklahoma Tuesday, Oregon quarterback Dillon Gabriel addressed those comments with media.

Seems to still be an open question, after the young OU QB performed poorly this weekend.

According to OU Coach Venables, he was not:

"Venables said that Gabriel ultimately wanted to play closer to home in Hawaiiand was looking for a change of scenery after offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby left for Mississippi State.

'You can't make a guy stay,' Venables said. 'The guys is trying to find the next thing; the next chapter for him. I'm sure there was probably some disappointment that (Gabriel) wasn't more highly thought of in the NFL. He had an amazing year. He was a fantastic quarterback. But we didn't run anybody off or things like that.'"

However, Dillon Gabriel seemed to side-step the question:

"'Honestly it's so far gone,' Gabriel said. 'I just know God's got me right where I need to be. I've got a smile on my face every day because I'm in Eugene, Oregon, around a bunch of great guys. Of course, those are guys that are my brothers for life and guys I've played with. Like I said, it's people I still talk to on the team, players-wise. You focus on what you can control and that's right where I'm at. Like I said, I'm happy. I know God put me right where I need to be and I think that's all that needs to be said, honestly.'"

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, no matter what happened the end result is on Venables now and the QB situation is not looking real rosy in Oklahoma.

I don't think it was necessarily that he was run out of Oklahoma, more that he wasn't courted to stay.  I think probably what happened is that he saw an opportunity to play at Oregon, the school that his idol played for, closer to his home, and probably in a better position to play for a national title. Oklahoma on the other hand was comfortable with Arnold thinking that he had the potential to be a young star.

It obviously hasn't worked out with Arnold, but I don't think they told Gabriel that they wanted him to transfer.  It just worked out well for both teams, obviously Oregon is happier of the two now, but I don't the Sooners were that worried at the start of the season.  

Edited by spartan2785

As opposed to the Will Howard/Avery Johnson affair. It's weird OSU ran their own QB out of town, yet picked up a QB run out of town from somewhere else.

At least Howard's running ability is a fit for Kelly's offense.

• Thumbs Up 1