Charles Fischer

First Sweep of Huskies in Seattle in 46 Years

SEATTLE — Colby Shade delivered a two-out RBI single in the top of the 11th inning to score Gavin Grant and then Christian Ciuffetelli got the last three outs to give Oregon a 6-5 win over Washington on Saturday at Husky Ballpark.

The win clinched a series sweep for the Ducks, their first in Seattle since the 1976 season. Oregon also won its first series at Washington since 2010 when the Ducks picked up wins in games two and three after losing in extra innings in game one.

How It Happened: Oregon took the lead in the top of the second scoring three runs. Sam Novitske picked up a pair of RBI with a triple to right field scoring Josh Kasevich and Anthony Hall. Novitske made it 3-0 scoring on a wild pitch.

Washington cut the lead to two with a third inning run before the Ducks responded. Brennan Milone got it back with a solo homer over the left-field wall.

Washington got within one with a pair of runs in the sixth and then tied it on an eighth inning solo home run pushing the game into extra innings.

Novitske Washington

Tanner Smith put the Ducks back on top with a leadoff solo home run in the top of the 10th inning.

Oregon turned to closer Kolby Somers, who had saves in each of the first two games of the series. Their wouldn’t be a third save, thanks to a Johnny Tincher leadoff home run to tie the game.

Somers rebounded from the home run. After two reached base on a walk and error and moved to second and third on a wild pitch with just one out, the Ducks’ closer struck out a batter and got a pop out to end the threat.

In the 11th, Washington reliever Bryce Armstrong retired the first two batters he faced before walking Gavin Grant. Smith kept the inning going with a single through the right side to put runners on first and second.

Shade the lined a two-ball, two-strike pitch into right center scoring Grant from second.

Inside The Box Score: Novitske’s triple was the second of his career, and first since March 8, 2019 … Milone’s home run was his eighth of the season, tying Smith and Anthony Hall for the team lead … Smith regained the team lead in homers with his solo shot in the 10th … Smith (2-for-6, HR, RBI, R) had multiple hits for the second time in the series, the 17th time this season and the 54th time in his career … Shade (3-for-5, RBI, BB) reached base four times … He had multiple hits for the second straight day and the 15th time this season … Somers (3-2) was credited with the win … Ciuffetelli’s save was the first of his career … Oregon moved to 2-0 in extra innings this season.

On Deck: Oregon wraps up its four-game road trip at Portland on Tuesday with a 5 p.m. first pitch.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Guest Axel

After they just had their ass handed to them by Our Beloved Ducks of baseball, they should be called the Wasshington Huskies.

Coach Mark Wasikowski has never lost to those miserable, flea-bitten half-wolves up north. His record is a stellar, super-duper 6-0 against Wasshington.

Because I have a humble, magnanimous and forgiving nature, I will not fully bash former Ducks coach George Horton for his inept play against those despicable, purple-clad rabies carriers. I will gladly, however, give him a three-quarters bashing, while I happily unwrap yet another Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.

Horton, of course, brought that dynamic offensive style of baseball to Eugene, not offensive in the sense that lots of guys ran around the bases and touched home plate, but offensive in the sense that it sucked worse than, well, those vile, purple-haired lunatics from Wasshington.

You may not remember, because you likely fell asleep during most of the baseball games in the George Horton era, but that offensive style was strategized, theorized, and manufacturized around the bunt. Yes, the bunt. The Horton mantra went something like this: “Get ‘em on, bunt ‘em over, and keep on bunting until the other guys make a throwing error.”

Not surprisingly, the number of Ducks national championships under George Horton is zero, and he bunted the Ducks to zero Pac-12 titles. Along the way, Horton faced the hated Huskies 36 times and lost a whopping 22 times. Horton’s series record against those loathsome degenerates in lavender is an abysmal 3-8-1.

How proficient was Horton’s bunting brigade at plating runs? In those 36 games against Wasshington, the Ducks scored just 124 times, a paltry 3.4 runs per game. Those odious mutts, on the other hand, scored 191 runs—a Ducks negative-67 run differential. This is hard to stomach, even after all this time. Excuse me, while I bite the head off another chocolate Easter bunny.

Kudos to Coach Wasikowski for righting the wrongs of the Ducks baseball world. The run differential in Waz’s perfect record against Wasshington is 43-20. Two series sweeps in two years. The Ducks are dominating those disgraceful, detestable dogs, as they should, and sending those grotesquely twisted Husky fans into even more psychotic rages.

Ducks baseball is resurrected. Hallelujah!

On 4/17/2022 at 1:04 PM, Axel said:

Because I have a humble, magnanimous and forgiving nature

All your humor and this one above made me LOL!

The hitting this year has never been done at Oregon before, and is a wonder to watch.  Now if we had great starting pitchers...but give Coach Waz time to recruit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/17/2022 at 1:04 PM, Axel said:

Horton, of course, brought that dynamic offensive style of baseball to Eugene, not offensive in the sense that lots of guys ran around the bases and touched home plate, but offensive in the sense that it sucked worse than, well, those vile, purple-haired lunatics from Wasshington.

George was running "Prevent Offense" before Mari.

• Haha 4