UtahDuck

Oregonian: Mario Cristobal signs 4 of Pac-12′s top 6 offensive linemen.

This Oregonian article came up in my news feed, noting that oregon had signed 4 of the top 6 offensive lineman in the pack 12. I did the rest of the work to find where The rest of the recruiting class landed.

*As a note I used 247 vs Rivals primarily because 247 gives national rankings past 100 where rivals does not.* *Also note, to ease numbers I did not calculate Transfers/JC Transfers.* *Last key point, I grouped all Oline(OT/OG/OC), all QB's(PRO/DUAL) and RB's(RB/APB) in their respective positions.

A few Key notes Oregon Signed the best player in the conference 4 times. OL-Kingsley, WR-Franklin, RB-McGee, and S-David. The signed the number 2 in the conference 7 Times. By only counting the highschool signees, the conference signed a total of 204 players. Of which all but one oregon player resides in the top 50% in the conference. Of the top 10% in the conference Oregon Signed 9. USC Signed 8 and the other 4 are split one a piece to Cal, UT, WA, ASU. 

Despite Buckner being below the 50% threshold in the conference, He still remained above 50% at his position(Ranked 7th out of 14). Barkins was the only player ranked below said 50(11th /16).

Last Point as a conference I don't think anyone recruited DT, WDE, or S very well. USC pulled in the best DT who had a position rank of 14, CAL pulled in the best WDE ranked 21st positionally and the best safety was oregon's at 15th. Every other position in the conference pulled in multiple single digit(top 10) positionally ranked players. 

Ask for any clarifications, and I hope the image uploads well.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 3.28.28 PM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fantastic post and information--thanks!

Mr. FishDuck

I'm surprised that Buckner is ranked so low. He has a good bloodline so I expected more. 

All in all it looks like the future of the Ducks is in good hands.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing! A couple of things:

1. OL is arguably the best position to recruit year-in, year-out. While obviously QB is the most important position, if you get one good QB every three years or so, you're going to be about as well off as a team that gets a stud every year... but badass offensive lines require five starters and depth, so a single class that's good every few years is unlikely to be very effective. In other words: go, Coach Mario and staff!

2. "Athlete" sort of messes up things in terms of looking at how some individual positions were recruited. An athlete could emerge as a high-level safety, for example, but we won't know it.

7 minutes ago, BigDucksFan said:

I'm surprised that Buckner is ranked so low. He has a good bloodline so I expected more. 

I agree, I think he is probably the most fundamentally sound out of the entire group.

With that I think people are marking his measurables and position skills. He has been trained as a DE but he really doesn't have the physically attributes to play DE. His profile reads 6-1(maybe a touch short for OLB but not crazy) the problem is his last actually height measured was 5-11(who knows what his actually height is). I think this more than anything Is why he is getting knocked in the rankings. Their just isn't room in CFB for a 6-0 DE. 

He should be really good as pass rush OLB. I could see him pushing for time straight away. The only limiting factor is if he has the ability to play in coverage, I don't know what his speed coverage skills are like.