30Duck

The Ducks Win A Tough One, 63-57 over the Aggies

UC Davis is a good team, after a seasoning opening win on November 25, their next 13 games were cancelled. The Aggies got back to playing on January 22, and won their 4 games before coming in to MKA, to meet the Ducks, who hadn't played since January 24.

The game wasn't on the schedule originally, and for the first 3 quarters, the Ducks looked like they might have been better off not adding it, trailing, 46-42. But, Nyara Sabally wasn't going to let the Ducks lose this one; she scored 8 straight points, to put the Ducks in the lead. Erin Boley who had kept the Ducks in the game the first 3 quarters, added 3 points, and the Ducks led 53-46, and wouldn't trail again. 

Ducks Grind Out Win In Return

From GoDucks.com

This was definitely an exciting game to watch. Close ones followed by a win are always like that. 

Quotes from Coach Graves..."We had to gut that out," Graves said. "Give UC Davis credit — they're good; they're legit. Everybody knows that. … We were good in some spots, not so good in others. Overall, not great. But good enough to win a game."

"That's what she's supposed to do," Graves said of Erin Boley's gritty play in the post. "She's a fifth-year senior, she's been on some really good basketball teams, and we have to be able to count on her."

Nyara Sabally"In the back of my head I know I need to step up and I need to be a leader," Sabally said. "But it's still kind of hard for me to think that way. Today in the game it kind of clicked, and then it worked out. I'm definitely looking to be a leader more for this team."

Taylor Chavez and Maddie Scherr were not with the UO team due to COVID-19 protocols. Graves said he does not expect them to be available for the Ducks' next game on Monday.

Up Next: The Ducks host No. 9 Arizona on Monday (4 p.m., ESPN2).

Mr. FishDuck

This could be stretching things a bit, but, now that the game is over, and the Ducks won I think it was a very impressive and important performance. The Aggies are good, and they were controlling the game. Rebounding, creating turnovers. In the first half, they were nailing 3's.

The Ducks couldn't do anything right. But, in spite of this, the D was still working. it was 25-25 at halftime. The Ducks didn't give up, didn't start pointing fingers. I'm sure that Coach Graves used some forceful words at halftime, and they worked.

I think this young team grew up a lot last night.