aheining

Game Day: Mater Dei and St. John Bosco in Santa Ana

I'm lucky enough to get to see the top two high school teams in the nation go toe-to-toe tonight in person, and all I can say so far is WOW. These guys came to play defense today.

Only 7-0 at the half in favor of Mater Dei, My key takeaways so far are:

• Mater Dei has only had a handful of bad plays the entire game, and already have started forcing turnovers. I love what I've seen upfront from them on both sides of the ball, but really its finishing drives that's killed them. Can't close consistently yet which will need to change in the second half against a hungry Bosco Braves squad.

• Bosco's QB Pierce Clarkson (committed to Louisville, but still recruited by a handful of PAC-12 teams in AZ State, AZ, and Colorado) has been getting the ball out quick and also getting loose on the edge. Doesn't have elite speed, but he's flashed so far.

• QB Elijah Brown (who may vary well be a Wildcat soon enough) looks calm and collected, I really like his poise so far. However, I've noticed hot and cold streaks he's gone on completions wise. To be fair to him, he hasn't had a lot of separation to close out the first half from his receivers. Jordan Onovughe is a huge receiver who needs to make more of an impact in the second half. 

• Aaron Williams (CB headed to Louisville) has outstanding straight line speed and agility. It's exciting to see him play in person finally.

Also, the atmosphere here is great. So exciting to get to see the best talent in the nation go to battle.

If you haven't recently, go out and see some Friday night lights shine. There's just nothing like high school ball (well, maybe seeing our Ducks play in Autzen. But you get the idea).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Friday night lights on a shirt sleeve night with a harvest moon rising.  Go football!  Pink numbers and pink socks honoring Breast Cancer Awareness month.

IMG_20221007_193102358.jpg.cd1e209ee92767df4bd73368bbbcd2d1.jpg