NJDuck

Why Scheduling in CFB Matters and Why we Need Expanded Playoffs| The Joel Klatt Show

Joe Klatt makes good sense about scheduling out of conference games.  Amazing this year on top 15 games that have been schedule where the home team was the successor.

Example, Oregon mis-scheduling disaster with Georgia at a one time event giving home field advantage to the team down South.  If this game did not happen, Oregon would be most likely the No. 2 or No. 3 ranked team in the country.

Schools are not being rewarded for scheduling tuff out of conference matches, so why schedule them?  This is why it's so important expanding the playoffs to 12 teams.

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Joel Klatt discussed why scheduling matters in CFB. He talked about the how the Oregon Ducks played the Georgia Bulldogs on the first week of the season in Atlanta. Klatt said the most...

I get it but I think it’s a little simplistic to just say “don’t schedule tough teams.”

2014- the Michigan St win really solidified Oregon’s playoff case that year even after the “bad” home loss to Arizona. Would they have been a 3 seed without that win on their belt? Likely not.

Last year- Oregon rode that early Ohio St win deep into November as a “playoff team” even though what we were seeing on the field was anything but with the Stanford loss. 

Ultimately if you want to be the best I think that playing the best is in your best interest. 

I do think there is a point that scheduling one off games in opponent’s back yard is less than ideal. This year was particularly rough with the brand new HC and the old team highly familiar with his system/defense. 

Hopefully the expanded playoff with guaranteed conference champions included eliminates some of the concern with tough scheduling going forward because as fans we want to see the marquee matchups vs playing the Idahos and N Arizonas of the world. 

This year's losses pointed out on his show makes a compelling point not to schedule these type of out of conference games.  It becomes all risk and no reward in doing so if you want to make the playoffs.

A 12 team playoff where conference champion gets in is very helpful.

Why do teams schedule those games?  Money.  The Ducks made more money from that game, then they would have if they played a terrible team at home.  It was 100% a money grab.  Schools like home and home because they don't have to pay a team to play them.  It is like Joe Klatt completely ignored why Texas and Oklahoma is leaving for the SEC and why USC and UCLA are going to the B1G Ten.

Definitely a risk reward situation.