Pennsylvania Duck

Women's Basketball: 12/3/22 Portland @ Ducks...A Blowout Win, 90-51

Portland Pilots plenty capable of causing Ducks problems on Saturday

Oregon starting center Philli Kyei won't look eye-to-eye with opposing players often this season.

At 6-foot-8, few players can match her imposing size.

Saturday's meeting with Portland will provide the sophomore the closest thing yet when former

Oregon Duck Lucy Cochrane, at 6-foot-6, makes her return to Matthew Knight Arena.

Kelly Graves: "Philli I think is stronger and a little bit bigger. Lucy is going to be a formidable foe for her.

It's going to be fun watching those two. I hope Philli gets the better of her, but that'll be a good matchup." 

247SPORTS.COM

Portland Pilots plenty capable of causing Ducks problems on Saturday

Oregon women’s basketball focused on defense, closing out games ahead of matchup with Portland

Oregon has been winning the rebounding battle but second-chance points allowed is an area Graves wants to improve.

Defensive rotations have also been problematic, though somewhat expected with three freshmen playing significant roles.

Those will be areas of importance against Portland, which had point guard Haylee Andrews back in the lineup and former Duck

Lucy Cochrane at center. The 6-foot-6 Cochrane (6.1 ppg., 5.9 rpg.) will be a comparable matchup in size for Oregon’s Phillipina Kyei

(10-2. ppg., 9.8 rpg.), who is coming off 15 points and 16 rebounds against Michigan State.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The No. 19 Ducks (5-1) held leads against both North Carolina and Michigan State and couldn’t hold off the Tar Heels but closed out the Spartans. They hope to show a more consistent effort through all 40 minutes of this afternoon’s game (2 p.m., Pac-12 Network) against the Pilots (5-3) at Matthew Knight Arena.

Chance Gray’s season-high 20 leads Oregon women’s basketball in rout of Portland

Chance Gray is heating up from behind the arc at exactly the right time for Oregon.

Gray scored a season-high 20 points on 8 of 12 shooting, including 4 of 8 from behind the arc, to lead six players in

double-figures for the No. 19 Ducks in an 90-51 rout of Portland Saturday afternoon at Matthew Knight Arena.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Gray scored a season-high 20 points on 8 of 12 shooting, including 4 of 8 from behind the arc, to lead six players in double-figures for...

Oregon's third quarter carries them to 39 point win over Portland

Oregon accumulated 33 points during the third quarter, the highest scoring mark in a quarter this season. Oregon opened

the quarter shooting 10-for-11 from the floor and forcing multiple Pilots turnovers with the help of its full-court press.

Chance Gray led the Ducks with 20 points, her best performance as a Duck, including hitting four three-pointers on eight attempts.

Gray used her speed and athleticism in the transition game and capitalized on the Portland turnovers with easy fastbreak layups.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon Ducks gamer vs. Portland. 

Kelly Graves believes Ducks played best basketball yet in rout of Portland

"I’ve coached some pretty good quarters in this arena over the year, and I think that’s one of the best we’ve ever had.

I thought we performed so well at both ends of the floor," Graves stated.

"This might be the best we’ve played so far this year. I truly believe that. We’ve had moments in other games

but from start to finish, I thought this was our most consistent best effort."

247SPORTS.COM

Kelly Graves believes Ducks played best basketball yet in rout of Portland

Huge Third Quarter Fuels Big Win

Oregon used a 33-12 margin in the third quarter to turn a comfortable lead into a convincing victory Saturday over Portland.

The No. 19 Ducks (6-1) were up seven early in the third quarter, 40-33, then proceeded to make their next 11 field-goal attempts

while forcing 10 turnovers the rest of the period. Oregon outscored UP 33-12 in the third, before continuing to pull away in the fourth quarter.

GODUCKS.COM

Oregon used a 33-12 margin in the third quarter to turn a comfortable lead into a convincing victory Saturday over Portland.

WATCH: Kelly Graves | Postgame vs. Portland

WATCH: Taylor Hosendove & Chance Gray | Postgame vs. Portland

WATCH: Pac-12 Network Game Highlights

PAC-12.COM

No. 19 Oregon women's basketball defeats Portland by a final score of 90-51 on Saturday, Dec. 3 in Eugene. The Ducks improve...

WATCH: Pac-12 anaysts discuss Ducks big third quarter in win over Portland

PAC-12.COM

Jennifer Mountain and Rich Burk talked about Oregon women's basketball's 33-point third quarter that led to a win over in-state...

WATCH Pac-12 Network: Chance Gray talks career day against Portland

PAC-12.COM

Oregon's Chance Grey caught up with Pac-12 Networks after scoring a career-high 20 points in the Ducks' 90-51 win over Portland

Not mentioned above, or maybe not emphasized enough, was the play of Taylor Hosendove, who almost had a double/double and seems like a completely different player than she was with her late start a year ago or even early this season.  She rebounds, plays defense, runs the floor, and has become a backup front court player upon whom Graves can depend.  I used to worry when she entered a game, but not anymore.