Charles Fischer

Ducks Beat the Huskies, are 7-0 in TENNIS

OREGON ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2021

EUGENE, Ore. – Needing four wins in singles play, the Oregon men’s tennis team responded accordingly for a 4-3 triumph Sunday afternoon over Washington at the UO Student Tennis Center. The visitors won the doubles point and led 3-2 before the Ducks rallied with wins at No. 2 and 6 singles. Oregon improves to 7-0 this season with Sunday’s victory.

Quotable: “Today we did it the Oregon way with a lot of grit and blue-collar work, and came out on top at the end. It was a great college match.” – head coach Nils Schyllander

“Once (Luke Vandecasteele) got into the third, I felt really good because you could tell he was physically stronger at that moment. First changeover, he told me ‘I can go three out of five sets. I’m fresh, coach’ and I knew.” – head coach Nils Schyllander

“I feel pretty good. It’s kind of hard not to after winning a match like that. This is definitely the dog days of the term, school wise, so it’s good for our team to be able to come out there and fight. Plus, it’s our third match of the week and we’re looking forward to three more (next week) so it could be easy to lay down some times but the fact that we were able to come out here and fight…it’s impressive to say the least.” – Sophomore Luke Vandecasteele

Notable: Seventh different singles lineup in seven matches … Coste (5-0), Klov-Nilsson (6-0), Quinn Vandecasteele (6-0) remain undefeated in singles play … UO did not lead in the match until the final win at No. 6 singles … first of two matches between the teams this season; play again April 10 in Seattle … Sunday’s match did not count toward Pac-12 standings.

Up Next: The Ducks head to Arizona for three matches next week, beginning with a neutral matchup with New Mexico (Feb. 25) in Tempe. Oregon opens conference play at No. 22 Arizona State (Feb. 26) and No. 21 Arizona (Feb. 28).

Image result for Oregon Tennis Nils Schyllander twitter

We are not going to be doing press releases of tennis for either gender very often, but a win over the Huskies justifies my efforts!

Mr. FishDuck