Pennsylvania Duck

WBB NIT Super 16: 3/23/23 vs San Diego, (Ducks WIN 81-61)

Kelly Graves opens door for Kennedy Basham return on Thursday

Kennedy Basham may be back on the court on Thursday when the Ducks host San Diego in the Super 16 round of the WNIT. 

Head coach Kelly Graves indicated that Basham, who has missed the previous two games with a concussion, was able to take the court for the first time since entering concussion protocols last week. 

"She actually played a little bit today. Nothing live or full contact, but she was actually on the court at shoot-around working," he said after Oregon's 78-53 win over Rice on Monday. "That's something that is good. Those concussions you just never know. I leave that to the medical staff and I trust them. They'll do what's best for her."

247SPORTS.COM

Kelly Graves opens door for Kennedy Basham return on Thursday

Phillipina Kyei's improving shot-blocking prowess, and more Oregon WNIT storylines 

Phillipina Kyei admits she was confused by how Rice's players chose to attack her with such consistency and fervor in Monday's WNIT second round game. 

The 6-foot-8 center swatted away two Owl shots in the first quarter and yet they kept on coming, allowing for her to block two a quarter for the game's duration to finish with a career-high eight blocked shots — the 10th most in program-history. 

"It started as one block and then the energy kept going from there. They kept driving so I didn't really know what to do," Kyei said with a nervous laugh after the 78-53 win. 

Swatting a shot in front of a home crowd is the pinnacle for many bigs, and Kyei is no different. Sending a shot into the stands and the glow the crowd provides after is unparalleled, she said. 

"It gets me going for sure," she said. "Coach always tells me to protect the paint. I think I did a good job of that. I'm willing to do more of that." 

247SPORTS.COM

Phillipina Kyei's improving shot-blocking prowess, and more Oregon WNIT storylines

WNIT SUPER 16 ON DECK FOR DUCKS

Rolling through the first two rounds of the 2023 WNIT, the Oregon women's basketball team takes on San Diego in the Super 16 round of the postseason tournament Thursday at Matthew Knight Arena at 6 p.m. PT.

The Ducks outscored Rice 44-22 in the second half on Monday, as UO finished a 78-53 win over the Owls to earn a spot in the third round. Endyia Rogers registered a game-high 19 points while Te-Hina Paopao and Grace VanSlooten each added 17. Phillipina Kyei tallied a career-high eight blocks in the game, the most by a Duck since 1999, in addition to grabbing 15 rebounds.

Oregon and San Diego have met once previously, with the Ducks earning a 74-67 win in San Diego on Dec. 28, 1993. The winner of Thursday's game will advance to the Great 8 round and take on the winner of K-State and Washington.

GODUCKS.COM

Rolling through the first two rounds of the 2023 WNIT, the Oregon women's basketball team takes on San Diego in the Super 16...

USD  52    Ore  77   4:16 to play

WBB recap: Big second quarter run propels Ducks into WNIT quarters

With Oregon shooting threes like it did tonight, even Stanford would have had a tough time beating the Ducks.

It wasn’t the Cardinal, but the San Diego Toreros that went down to Oregon 81-61 in the third round of the WNIT. The Ducks now advance to the quarterfinals on Sunday and will play either Washington or Kansas State.

For the game, Oregon was 14-of-32 from the three-point line with Ahlise Hurst leading the Ducks with 23 points on seven treys.

The Ducks also played tough defense for the entire 40 minutes and the Toreros never got their offense going. The members from the West Coast Conference shot just 33 percent from the field and 3-of-13 from long range.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon went on a 17-0 run in the second quarter and the Ducks defeated San Diego by 20 and advanced to the WNIT quarterfinals.

Ducks advance to WNIT quarterfinals with blowout of San Diego

The win secures a quarterfinal berth, but what the next few days hold remain uncertain. The team will await the outcome of Friday's game between Washington and Kansas State before the opponent, location and date of the quarterfinal game are finalized. 

Oregon was once again without reserve center Kennedy Basham. The 6-foot-7 freshman has now missed all three WNIT games with a concussion. Kelly Graves indicated after the game that he expects her to play in their upcoming game.

Ahlise Hurst made just four three-point shots in 20 games against Pac-12 competition, but on Thursday night she could hardly miss. 

The fifth-year senior connected on six shots from three, and Oregon as a team hit 14.

247SPORTS.COM

Behind a barrage of three-point makes, the Ducks secured a spot in the next round of the 2023 WNIT.

Bench Has Breakout Night In WNIT Win

Ahlise Hurst hit six of Oregon's 14 three-pointers and led four Ducks who scored in double figures as the UO women's basketball team advanced to the WNIT quarterfinals with a third-round victory Thursday over San Diego, 81-61, before 3,009 fans in Matthew Knight Arena.

"It's what we needed at the end of the season, to keep going, keep playing and get the championship at the end," Hurst said.

The victory gave the Ducks their 20th win of the season. The UO women have won six of seven entering a WNIT quarterfinal game to be played Sunday or Monday, against either Kansas State or Washington at a location to be determined.

"We get to play another day, and that's fun," UO coach Kelly Graves said. "I mean, obviously this isn't the tournament that we were shooting for, but we're in it. This is the bed we made and we're making the most of it. That's all you can do in life, you know? Whatever you have earned, make the most of it. And we are. So I'm really proud of them."

GODUCKS.COM

Ahlise Hurst scored a season-high 23 points to lead a well-rounded effort in Oregon's WNIT win over San Diego on Thursday.

WATCH: Kelly Graves pleased with Ducks' focus in WNIT blowout of San Diego

WATCH: Ahlise Hurst and Te-Hina Paopao pleased with WNIT win, ready for more