Pennsylvania Duck

Duck Baseball: 3/24-3/26 vs Northwestern State (Game 4, Ducks WIN 5-0)

Normally, I like to keep a baseball series under the same thread. However, this was a series with 4 games which made it too long for one thread. Also, because the Ducks scored so often, there were a lot more postings than usual. 

To make it easier for readers and myself to navigate, I am starting a new thread for the 4th game. If you need to refer back to the first three games of this series, simply click here.

Ducks complete four-game sweep of Northwestern State as Tanner Smith breaks another record

After scoring 58 runs over their first three games of the series, the Ducks' offense started slow, but Tanner Smith led the way again in Oregon’s 5-0 win over Northwestern State. 

The win marks Oregon’s sixth straight and completes the four-game sweep of the Demons. 

In the sixth inning, the Demons brought in relief pitcher Andrew Cossio, one of their best arms in the bullpen. Cossio featured a fastball that reached into the mid-90s, topping out at 97 MPH, and was the most electric arm Oregon had seen this weekend. 

“It was a challenge,” said head coach Mark Wasikowski on the Sunday win. “Obviously, they had still their best bullpen guys and their best returning starter from last year that they're throwing on game four.

We knew going into it, it was gonna be a hard game and it was. That guy was really good on the mound to start and then it was pretty obvious each pitcher that they threw have very, very good arms. For us to come out on top and throw a shutout right there was just fantastic.”

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon completed the four-game sweep of Northwestern State as Tanner Smith hit a home run in his fifth straight game, breaking...

Tanner Smith becomes first Duck to homer in five straight games as Oregon completes sweep of Northwestern State

Tanner Smith is setting all kinds of records lately.

This series, which began with him setting the school hits record, ended with him becoming the first Oregon player to hit a home run in five consecutive games. It was pure dominance for Smith, as it was pure dominance for the Ducks as a team. They beat Northwestern State 5-0 on Sunday, completing a four-game sweep and winning their sixth in a row overall.

“It was awesome,” Smith said. “It’s a great feeling to break records, but I think it’s an even better feeling when we come away with a four-game sweep, and seeing all the bats that came alive and stayed hot, and seeing pitching. The team clicking is just so awesome.”

“I was happy with all the pitchers that we had out there today,” Wasikowski said. “I thought they competed well, and they threw the ball exceptionally well.”

Click here to read more about today's game in The Daily Emerald.

Smith homers again, Ducks’ pitchers secure sweep

Tanner Smith homered for the fifth straight game, an Oregon program record, and three Ducks' pitchers combined on a two hitter to give Oregon a 5-0 win over Northwestern State on Saturday and a four-game series sweep.

Matthew Grabmann, Matt Dallas and Josh Mollerus held NSU (13-11) allowed just five base runners in the game with two reaching on hits, a pair on hit-by-pitches and one on an intentional walk. Oregon's defense turned three double plays with the first getting Oregon out of a bases loaded jam in the fourth.

GODUCKS.COM

Smith has hit a home run in five consecutive games

Postgame Interviews

Mark Wasikowski | Postgame vs Northwestern State | Game 4

Sr. OF Tanner Smith

Sr. RHP Matt Dallas

• Thanks 1