Pennsylvania Duck

Oregon's Place in Recent Athletic Department Ranking Raises Some Questions

The Ducks Wire article referenced in the title is actually in response to a Jon Wilner article that was posted last week. In the Wilner article, he ranked the Pac-12 schools according to which schools are making the most of the dollars spent in the athletic department. I have reposted the article below for your reference in the event you didn't read it. It makes most sense to read Wilner's article first, then the one from Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire.

Jon Wilner's Pac-12 athletic department power ratings:

Which schools are making the most of the dollars spent?

SPORTS360AZ.COM

<p>Welcome to the Hotline’s inaugural Pac-12 athletic department power ratings, in which we assess performance in football and...

For the most part, Duck fans should be incredibly proud of the teams they cheer on yearly. Consistently, they have a football team that ranks among the top 10-15 teams in the nation, sometimes better; they have a pair of basketball programs that have made multiple deep trips in the NCAA Tournament; they also have really solid baseball and softball program, and the track and field program is consistently among the best in the nation.

Behind all of that are Nike and Uncle Phil Knight, who are inarguably among the best donors in the world of college athletics.

So with all of that in mind, you would think that the Ducks have one of the top athletic departments in the Pac-12 if not the nation, right? Well, depending on how you look at things, that may not be the answer.

Read on in the article for Zachary Neel's take on Oregon's ranking...Are you in agreement?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon’s place in the athletic department power rankings took a hit following down seasons from both men’s and women’s basketball.

Thanks, PA. Is Mullen the right guy to be leading the Oregon Athletic Department? 2022 produced a bad ROI. 

I want to give him credit for the Lanning hire after the Wilcox offer (likely intentionally) failed. He did not hire Altman. He had his hat in the ring for both the Georgia and Texas A+M jobs.

Charles and this great site do a better job of marketing the football and basketball programs than anything I have seen coming from Mullens. Where is the pub from the Athletic Department noting, as Charles so artfully did, the football team in 2022 outkicking its media market coverage by finishing as the 7th most watched team in the nation?

However, who cares what I think; especially, if Uncle Phil is happy?