Pennsylvania Duck

Spring Football Practice: 4/8/23

Spring football practice is scheduled for today. I am starting this thread early so that posters may start dropping items in as they occur.

There are 15 spring practices scheduled this season. Each practice will have it's own thread on OBDF and all articles in that thread will only pertain to that particular practice.

This should help in keeping information organized and make it easier for our readers to navigate.

FYI, in the article below you will see the dates for the practices scheduled. Be sure to check in later today as practice articles, interviews, and updates start coming in.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The dates have been set for Oregon’s spring practice schedule.

Spring Ball Takeaways: Energy, eyeballs ramped up for fifth practice of spring season

Once again, we saw a good amount of stretching, special teams drills, and individual work from Oregon in the first 15-20 minutes of practice.

There was an additional 50-75 spectators in attendance as well, with a lot of recruiting visits taking place, and still some coaches in town after the coaching clinic this week.

Here are some of my biggest takeaways from the Saturday morning session...

• -- New Huddle Breaker
  • -- Special Teams Drills
  • -- Mod Bracket Drill
  • -- Absent or Limited Players
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

There were a lot of spectators and some real energy at Oregon’s practice on Saturday. Here are some of our biggest takeaways.

Oregon Football Spring Camp Updates: Practice Five

A slew of visitors piled along the sidelines of Saturday's fifth spring practice, as the Ducks had over 100 high school prospects and coaches on hand for a recruiting weekend.

Those spectators and media were treated to another padded workout on the practice turfs. The day's action again featured full-contact drilling with media on hand to watch the offensive and defensive lines battle during a combo blocking drill while the rest of the team's skill players took part in a perimeter blocking drill.

The perimeter drill saw a few of the newcomers slip up with their technique and effort, leading head coach Dan Lanning to remind them to take each rep seriously.

"You can't hide out here. Everyone sees you," he said over the facilitie's PA system...

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's fifth practice of the spring took place on Saturday, check here for updates

Oregon Ducks spring practice observations: Contact picks up as full pads go on

Oregon had full pads on for its fifth spring practice Saturday morning at the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex and that brought the return of the combo blocking drill early in practice.

The drill is typical during the season but the Ducks had yet to work in tandems in early periods during the first four spring practices.

The right side of the offensive line had Steven Jones and Ajani Cornelius against Keyon Ware-Hudson and Brandon Dorlus. Jackson Powers-Johnson was the first center with Kawika Rogers and Dave Iuli each at guard and they went against Treven Ma’ae and Ben Roberts. The left side of the line had Marcus Harper II and Josh Conerly Jr. against Casey Rogers and Jordan Burch.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Oregon had full pads on for its fifth spring practice Saturday morning at the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex and that brought the return of the combo blocking drill early in practice.

WATCH Post-Practice Interviews

Will Stein opens up on his arrival to Oregon

Bo Nix opens up on return to Oregon

Evan Williams details decision to transfer to Oregon

Taki Taimani: "Connection you have with your teammates."

Notable quotes from Oregon offensive coordinator Will Stein after Saturday practice

Since coming over from the University of Texas San Antonio, Oregon’s offense has had an impressive offseason under Stein. He kicked off his tenure in Eugene by flipping 4-star QB recruit Austin Novosad from Baylor to the Ducks, and he also helped lead the charge to bring Bo Nix back to Oregon for one more year, while playing a hand in landed a handful of offensive transfers as well.

There are a lot of questions going forward for Stein and the Oregon offense. After seeing such marked improvement under Dillingham a year ago, there are high expectations for year one with a new coordinator.

A lot of questions were asked on Saturday. Here are some of the most notable quotes from Stein in his first presser with Oregon media members...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“Our job is to get our best players the ball as many times as possible. Plays are highly overrated. It’s about the players here at...

Notable quotes from Oregon QB Bo Nix after Ducks' fifth spring practice

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

In Year 5, Bo Nix is playing with some freedom. He spoke about that after Saturday’s practice.

FOOTBALL PRACTICE REPORT: APRIL 8

When Bo Nix connected over the phone with Will Stein this offseason, there was no guarantee they'd be together at Oregon come spring.

Nix was considering a jump to the NFL, after a successful first season with the Ducks in 2022. Stein was coming off a season in which he helped coordinate a Texas-San Antonio offense that was among the most prolific in the country.

Then, they talked.

"At the time, I still didn't know my decision yet," Nix recounted Saturday, following Oregon's fifth practice of spring drills. "After that conversation, I knew we got a good one."

Stein and Nix are now working together in Eugene, the quarterback looking to go out on top as a player, the coach looking to test himself on a weekly basis against Power 5 competition. Stein is now Nix's offensive coordinator and position coach, and they're building each day on the relationship they began to establish with that offseason phone call.

"I was a little mind-blown by the intensity and what he was looking for from a coach, and offense," Stein said. "He asked questions that are extremely mature and well thought-out. He's made me better as a coach. He puts me in a position to really think as a coach, which I really appreciate."

GODUCKS.COM

The Ducks are one-third of the way through spring drills after holding practice in full pads on Saturday morning.

Photos from Oregon's fifth day of spring football practice

Saturday marked the fifth spring football practice of the year for the Oregon Ducks. 

DuckTerritory.com photographer Craig Strobeck attended practice and helped capture the 18 or so minutes available to media members. Here is a gallery from Oregon practice.

247SPORTS.COM

Below is a collection of a few dozen images snapped from DuckTerritory's Craig Strobeck from Saturday's spring practice.

Bo Nix Opens up on Returning to Oregon for Fifth Year

Bo Nix was one of the best quarterbacks in the country last year. Now he's back for more in 2023 and should have the Oregon offense humming.

Bo Nix was faced with a big decision after the 2022 season. 

He had rewritten the narrative around his name as an error-prone quarterback and become the face of the Oregon program. His 71.9% completion percentage was both a career-best and a program record.

The Pinson, Alabama native was playing the best ball of his career and he had just led Oregon to a 10-win season.

He had to make a decision. Pursue the 2023 NFL Draft or return to Eugene for one more season.

Read how Nix made his decision and spring practice so far in Ducks Digest.

After practice...Click on pics to enlarge

'An attacking offense that throws the ball downfield;' Will Stein describes UO's gameplan in 2023

On Saturday afternoon, we got our first opportunity as media members to hear from Stein, and ask about his plans for the Ducks’ offense. For Oregon fans hoping that another year of aggressive passing and wide receiver breakouts are in order, you’re in luck.

“You know, the 2022 Oregon offense is very similar to the style of offense that I’m accustomed to,” Stein said. “Coming in here meeting with Bo, you know, really feeling out what he likes in the past, I’m getting really good at what he’s comfortable with.

And then making sure he knows what I’m comfortable with. Blending it together with ultimately Coach Lanning’s philosophy of running the football, being physically tough, playing clean, dictating simple, and blending it all together.”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“Offensively, our job is to get our best players the ball as many times as possible.” Will Stein detailed his plan for the Ducks in...

Funny incident during post-practice interview with Taki Taimani which was cut from final showing above...

Evan Williams talks brotherly influence, leadership, and fitting in as a Duck

Over the past few seasons in Eugene, safety Bennett Williams rose prominently as one of the notable fan favorites for the Oregon Ducks. His hard-hitting style was appreciated, and the charismatic comfortability shown in front of a camera during media availabilities was always endearing.

Duck fans might have struck gold twice. A season after Williams graduated and left Eugene, another Williams brother has come to Oregon to take his place. Evan Williams, a senior safety, transferred to the Ducks from Fresno State earlier this offseason, and he’s working to get himself acclimated to the area and entrenched in the program.

We got a chance to talk to Williams for the first time on Saturday afternoon following the Ducks’ fifth spring practice of the year. I can happily report that, like his brother, Evan is similarly charismatic and personable.

He discussed what his decision process was like coming to Oregon, how Bennett helped him along the way, and what it’s been like taking over as a veteran leader on the team, despite being one of the new guys.

Here are some of the best quotes from his interview:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Evan Williams has big shoes to fill as Bennett Williams’ younger brother. He’s excited to take on that challenge with the Ducks.

Bo Nix spoke to team's top returning WRs before addition of adopted brother Tez Johnson

Bo Nix understood the optics of adding a sibling to the roster, so the ever-diplomatic quarterback reached out to the players on the team it would impact most.

"The first thing I did was call Troy Franklin and Kris [Hutson] and make sure like 'Hey, we're trying to provide competition in the room. We're trying to provide explosive playmakers," Nix said of the process of bringing Troy wide receiver and adopted brother Tez Jonson west for his final season.

Neither Franklin or Hutson were deterred by the addition of Johnson, and according to Nix were enthused by the possibility of adding the speedster to the room.

"The thing is when you talk to guys like Tory and Kris they love that. They don't shy away from that," he said. "I think it's made Kris better. It's made Troy better. It's made everybody in that room better. Iron sharpens iron. When they're getting better, we're all getting better. I'm getting better. The O-Line is getting better."

No player on the roster has more collegiate receiving yards than Johnson, who has 1,809.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon quarterback Bo Nix says he called the team's top returning receivers to clear the addition of adopted brother Tez Johnson to...

New Oregon OC Will Stein preaches value of a player-friendly offense

New offensive coordinator Will Stein wants to keep things simple. The worst thing a play-caller can do is "overcomplicate" matters, he believes.

"Plays are highly overrated," Stein said about 30 seconds into his first press availability since arriving in Eugene in December. "It's about the players. Here at Oregon we have unbelievable players. My big thing is to set them free. Let's put them in a position to make plays and let our quarterback have a lot of fun."

Much of what Stein said on Saturday afternoon paralleled what his predecessor said around the same time a year ago. While Stein's vision differs in areas from Kenny Dillingham, now Arizona State's head coach, there will certainly be similarities too.

247SPORTS.COM

New offensive coordinator Will Stein outlines what he hopes to accomplish offensively and how that might differ from past...

Bo Nix looking to build upon historical first year at Oregon

Bo Nix produced one of the best seasons at the quarterback position for Oregon's program during the 2022 season. How do Nix and Oregon look for improvement in year two together? What's a reasonable expectation for a player who played at the highest level for the position?

"There's a big difference in where he is this year compared to where he was last year," said head coach Dan Lanning. And it was kind of earn the respect versus he's earned the respect. So now it is that leadership role is expected for Bo."

So where do you find areas to improve when you already produce at such a high level?

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon senior quarterback Bo Nix is looking for growth and improvement after historical first season with the Ducks.

As a 5th-year starter, Bo Nix is seeing his experience pay dividends on the field

In April 2022, Nix was that new transfer that as feeling his way around the football program and Eugene after coming from SEC Country and Auburn.

Flash forward a year. Nix is now very comfortable in his surroundings as the leader of a football team that should make a lot of noise in 2023. That comfort feeling off the field should pay dividends on the field.

Having an experienced quarterback that doesn’t need a lot of supervision is going to go a long way for some of the new offensive coaches, such as new offensive coordinator Will Stein. Not having to worry about a young quarterback learning the playbook can allow Stein to focus on other younger players.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon quarterback Bo Nix is a lot more comfortable than he was this time last season and the Ducks are going to benefit for it.

Bo Nix to maintain pre-snap autonomy to change plays under Will Stein

Kenny Dillingham was comfortable giving Bo Nix the option to change plays at the line of scrimmage, and his replacement is too.

Speaking with media members for the first time since replacing Dillingham in December, Will Stein said on Saturday that Nix, and future quarterbacks in his system, will "have the freedom to check plays" as long as it's for the right reasons.

"We always want to have our quarterbacks have the freedom to check plays when necessary and to feel comfortable with those looks and why we're doing it," Stein said. "I don't want someone to check because we want to check. It needs to be the specific look versus a certain coverage or a certain pressure."

Nix attributes the pre-snap autonomy as being a significant factor for the offensive success last season. The Ducks finished with the program's highest season scoring average (38.8) since the Vernon Adams-led 2015 offense.

"I think that's one of the things that made us special last year," Nix said on Saturday.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon quarterback Bo Nix will once again be allowed to change plays before the snap under new offensive coordinator Will Stein.

Evan Williams honored by opportunity to carry on his brother's 'legacy' at Oregon

Dan Lanning preaches the value of obtaining "intimate knowledge" for each transfer portal target they seek. They didn't have to do too much digging when they began pursuing Fresno State defensive back Evan Williams.

"Well, I really liked his brother, and so I thought we'd just bring him in," he said with a wry smile back in February. "He's an infectious personality. He has a hunger to be great. I think his film speaks for itself. You guys can look up his PFF grades. I'm not sure what those are."

Williams chose the Ducks over opportunities at Florida, Florida State and most of the Pac-12, including Washington. The Huskies also had connections to Williams, as several coaches, including head coach Kalen DeBoer, had worked with him in Fresno.

"It wasn't an easy decision by any means. I'm glad I made it. I'm glad I'm here and I'm extremely thankful for my entire support staff who helped me get here and I'm having a good time," Williams said.

Unlike his brother, Evan Williams is expecting to play safety, and not the STAR nickel position his brother started at a season ago.

"I haven't played STAR at all. We're playing sides, so I'll play field and boundary," he said. "We'll see if they throw me in at STAR. I haven't had any word that they're going to, but I'll fit in if they need me to."

247SPORTS.COM

Senior safety Evan Williams is excited by the opportunity to carry on his brother's legacy at Oregon.

Tez Johnson, Traeshon Holden bringing healthy competition to Ducks' WR room

This offseason, both Traeshon Holden and Tez Johnson were added to the roster. Each presents a different skill set — Holden is more of a big-bodied, physical receiver, while Johnson’s slight frame allows him unique speed and agility in open space — but both can provide major upsides for the Oregon offense.

The one potential downside of bringing in the new guys is current players feeling slighted by the additions.

While the increased competition could mean less of a target share for these players down the road, it’s also likely to bring out the best in them going forward. With more talent to compete with, they will have to rise up to prove good enough to deserve the opportunity. “Iron sharpens iron,” has head coach Dan Lanning often says, and the Ducks are carrying that mentality into spring ball with gusto.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With Tez Johnson and Traeshon Holden now fighting for targets in the WR room, Bo Nix knows that the end result will be everyone...