NJDuck

Spring Football Practice: 4/18/23

Spring football practice is scheduled for today. I am starting this thread early so that posters may start dropping items in as they occur. 

There are 15 spring practices scheduled this season. Each practice will have it's own thread on OBDF and all articles in that thread will only pertain to that particular practice.

This should help in keeping information organized and make it easier for our readers to navigate.

FYI, in the article below you will see the dates for the practices scheduled. Be sure to check in later today as practice articles, interviews, and updates start coming in.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The dates have been set for Oregon’s spring practice schedule.

Thrown into the deep end, freshman TE Kenyon Sadiq is making up ground quickly

For those of us of a slightly older, uh hem, generation, the thought of finishing high school early in order to join the college football team is still quite strange.

What was a phenomenon is now the norm and tight end Kenyon Sadiq is one of those freshmen looking to make an impact and play right away for the Ducks.

According to tight ends coach Drew Mehringer, the learning curve from high school to college is still the biggest obstacle incoming freshmen have to face.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With the injury to Terrance Ferguson, freshman Kenyon Sadiq will get a bigger look in spring camp and he’s ready for the challenge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dan Lanning is thrilled to welcome some special faces as guest coaches

“They’re good ambassadors because they’re obviously phenomenal players, but also phenomenal people,” he said of Mariota and Holland. “Anytime you have guys that were just tremendous Ducks that care so much about our program and make an effort to give back, it’s always great to recreate that. That’s special for our players, but it’s just a special for our fans. They’re loved and adored by every Duck out there. (We) love having them back for us.”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“They’re good ambassadors because they’re obviously phenomenal players, but also phenomenal people.”

Oregon Football Spring Camp Updates: Practice Nine

EUGENE, Ore. -- A few transfer portal defections aside, the team appeared to came out of the first scrimmage of spring relatively unscathed.  Tuesday brought the first day back from Saturday's session in Autzen and the day's work, which took place in full pads, featured nearly perfect attendance.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's ninth practice of the spring took place on Tuesday, check here for updates

Notable quotes from Dan Lanning after Ducks' 9th spring practice

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“I think we’ve got a lot of football players that can play. I think we’re having more depth, especially defensively right now, than we did last year.”

Dan Lanning lists Matayo Uiagalalei, Josh Conerly Jr. as possible spring fill-in tight ends

With numbers dwindling at tight end this spring, Oregon's coaching staff could be forced to get a little creative over the final two weeks of practice.

Head coach Dan Lanning pointed to a few high-profile players at other positions as possible stand-ins in the interim, naming defensive end Matayo Uiagalalei and offensive tackle Josh Conerly Jr. as players capable of doing so.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon coach Dan Lanning ran through a list of players who might be able to fill in at tight this spring with depth waning due to injury.

WATCH: Dan Lanning gives scrimmage review and practice 9 takeaways

Everything Dan Lanning said after Oregon's ninth spring practice - Transcript

247SPORTS.COM

Continue reading for a complete transcript of Dan Lanning's press conference after the Ducks' ninth spring practice.

WATCH: Chris Hampton breaks down takeaways his arrival at Oregon

Everything safeties coach Chris Hampton said after Oregon's ninth spring practice

247SPORTS.COM

Here's a complete transcript from safeties coach Chris Hampton and his Tuesday afternoon media availability

WATCH: Jamal Hill talks position movement and spring ball developments

• Like 1

Photos from Oregon's ninth day of spring football practice

247SPORTS.COM

Below is a collection of a few dozen images snapped from DuckTerritory's Jason Fairchild from Tuesday's spring practice.

New co-DC Chris Hampton reflects on joining Ducks, settling in at Oregon

Dan Lanning added Chris Hampton to join the flock back in January to be Oregon's co-defensive coordinator with Tosh Lupoi while also replacing Matt Powledge in coaching the safeties.

Before arriving in Eugene, Hampton led Tulane’s defense for two seasons -- contributing to the Green Wave's breakout 12-2 finish and Cotton Bowl win over USC last season.

Lanning has shown a confident willingness to invest and trust in up-and-coming coaches, which Hampton qualifies as after working his way up the ranks as a DBs coach at Central Arkansas, McNeese State, Tulane, Duke and then the coordinator opportunity with the Green Wave.

He was a four-year letterman and two-year starter as a safety at South Carolina from 2004-07.

So it's easy to see why Hampton caught Lanning's eye, just as it's clear to understand why Hampton jumped at the chance to join the Ducks.

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

New Oregon safeties coach/co-DC Chris Hampton talked to reporters for the first time since joining the Ducks.

Jamal Hill on transition to LB: '(It) feels like what I was doing when I played nickel'

The linebacker play at Oregon was a season-long story over 2022-2023.

With spring football fast approaching, Oregon added names to the room, like transfer portal additions Jestin Jacobs and Connor Soelle. Still, one of the most intriguing moves revolved around a player already on the roster: Jamal Hill.

The transition to linebacker began soon after the Ducks returned from San Diego with the Holiday Bowl trophy in hand, said Hill after practice on Tuesday.

"Me, Coach (Dan) Lanning, Coach (Tosh) Lupoi, my family, we just sat down and talked about it," said Hill. "What would be the best for me moving forward? And that's just the decision we all came up with... I was open to it (the position change) because he (Lanning) told me all I had to do was gain weight. I'm like, 'I know I can do that."

"I told them, a lot of the stuff I'm doing now feels like what I was doing when I played nickel," said Hill on Tuesday. "But, I just called coach Lanning and asked what do you think is the best for my future? How can I help the team and still chase my goals too?

He said the game is changing, and with people with your body type and your athleticism, you can help a lot of teams in the box. He (Lanning) told me himself he was going to coach me, and Coach Tosh was going to coach me to be the player I can be in the box. And I was all for it."

247SPORTS.COM

Jamal Hill continues to embrace the transition from safety to linebacker.

Post-Practice Interviews

So. Running Back Jordan James

Jr. Defensive Lineman Keyon Ware-Hudson

FOOTBALL PRACTICE REPORT: APRIL 18

During his first season as UO head coach, Dan Lanning described the process of breaking down film and addressing issues from games as "going to the doctor."

Identifying and fixing breakdowns isn't always fun. But you've got to take your medicine, even if it doesn't taste great.

What's the process like after a spring scrimmage, such as one the Ducks held this past Saturday? No different.

"We go to the doctor," Lanning said Tuesday, following the Ducks' first practice since the scrimmage. "We do a write-up just like we would in a normal game. We review the film, we have corrections. All those things are the same."

That process largely took place Monday, Lanning said. Come Tuesday, the Ducks were back to work in practice.

GODUCKS.COM

The Ducks kicked off the penultimate week of spring drills with a practice Tuesday morning.

Chris Hampton talks Ducks' secondary, Dan Lanning, and trying to stop Bo Nix in practice

Of the many hires that Oregon Ducks head coach Dan Lanning made over the offseason, safeties coach Chris Hampton was among the most intriguing.

Taking over for Matt Powledge, who left to become the defensive coordinator for the Baylor Bears, Hampton had relatively big shoes to fill in Eugene.

He himself was the former defensive coordinator for the Tulane Green Wave, which made him a coveted coach coming over to Eugene. Hampton now has the opportunity to coach a talented group of players in Oregon’s secondary, including Evan Williams, Tysheem Johnson, Steve Stephens, and Bryan Addison.

On Tuesday, we got our first chance to talk to Hampton and discuss his transition to Eugene and what it’s like to go up against Oregon’s explosive offense every day in practice. Here are some of best quotes from that interview.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“We go against a veteran QB every day and play against some really good WRs. It’s a challenge each and every day, and it’s going to make us better.”

Facing Bo Nix in practice every day gives Oregon defense top-notch experience

It will be easy to understand that when the 2023 Oregon Ducks are previewed by the national media or the media at large, the offense is going to receive most of the attention.

With all of the weapons the Ducks’ offense has, one can’t blame the media to focus on Bo Nix, Troy Franklin and others. But the unit that has to face that offense more than anyone is the Oregon defense in practice.

According to Oregon safeties coach Chris Hampson, the talent is there for this Ducks defense to be special.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Safeties coach Chris Hampton feels the Oregon defense will be too good to be overshadowed by the offense in 2023.

Dan Lanning evaluates the play of quarterbacks behind Bo Nix

Bo Nix is returning to Oregon for his second season with the program and fifth in college football. He’s the clear starter for Dan Lanning’s Ducks. Still, the team needs to be prepared for anything at that position throughout the 2023 season. 

Now, Lanning has broken down those quarterbacks behind Bo Nix this season.

Dan Lanning and the Ducks continue to see progress in spring football.

In his first media availability since the Ducks’ scrimmage on Saturday, head coach Dan Lanning addressed the state of his football team as spring camp nears its tenth practice.

Here are some of my top takeaways.

becec42f-bc0a-47e0-a854-556096615590

https://www.bnd.com/sports/college/article274493986.html#storylink=rss

Dan Lanning pushing Jordan James to do more in year two

When the ball neared the goal line most Oregon fans knew what was coming a season ago. The Ducks brought in a slew of massive bodies and pounded the rock.

In many of those instances, that meant the ball ended up in the stomach of Jordan James. No running back scored on the ground more frequently than James, who shared that distinction with Bucky Irving and Noah Whittington, who finished with five rushing touchdowns apiece as well.

"That package is kind of a mentality package," James told reporters on Tuesday afternoon. "You know what you're going to get from the defense and they know what

they're getting from the offense. So, you've got to [man] up."

The well-built sophomore wants to show more in year two.  His head coach expects he will do just that.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon running back Jordan James was one of the few members of the 2022 class to avoid a redshirt season.