NJDuck

Spring Football Practice: 4/20/23

Spring football practice is scheduled for today. I am starting this thread early so that posters may start dropping items in as they occur. 

There are 15 spring practices scheduled this season. Each practice will have it's own thread on OBDF and all articles in that thread will only pertain to that particular practice.

This should help in keeping information organized and make it easier for our readers to navigate.

FYI, in the article below you will see the dates for the practices scheduled. Be sure to check in later today as practice articles, interviews, and updates start coming in.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The dates have been set for Oregon’s spring practice schedule.

Spring Ball Takeaways: Ducks move indoors for 10th practice of spring season

We are a little bit over a week away from the Oregon Ducks kicking off the annual spring game on April 29 inside Autzen Stadium. It has been clear that with that date on the horizon, the energy in practice has ramped up along with the preparation.

On Thursday morning, Dan Lanning and the Ducks got back after it, this time inside the Moshofsky Center due to inclimate weather. They once again went through stretching, special teams drills, and modified tackling drills. While the players were in shoulder pads and shorts, the energy was high and the pads were thumping.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A couple of projected starters were absent from Thursday’s Oregon practice on Thursday. Our full practice report here.

Oregon Football Spring Camp Updates: Practice 10

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's 10th practice of the spring took place on Thursday, check here for updates

Redshirt freshman S Trejon Williams, former 4-star recruit, no longer with Oregon program

The Oregon Ducks saw more roster turnover this week as a former member of the 2023 recruiting class was deemed no longer with the program, a UO spokesperson confirmed.

Trejon Williams, a former 4-star safety, has been removed from the team’s roster online, and was not seen with the team at Oregon’s 10th spring practice on Thursday inside the Moshofsky Center.

After redshirting as a freshman in 2022, Williams leaves the Ducks having played zero snaps.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Redshirt freshman Trejon Williams is no longer with the Oregon program. He was a 4-star recruit but played 0 snaps in 2022.

National brand makes recruiting at Oregon easier for Ducks' coach Chris Hampton

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“When you talk to kids now, they know exactly who you are,” Hampton said. “I’m a little bit prettier than I was at my previous spot.”

'I wish I did it earlier;' Jamal Hill discusses move from safety to linebacker

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Jamal Hill is transitioning from safety to linebacker for the Ducks this year, and so far he’s loving the move.

WATCH: Oregon RB Coach Carlos Locklyn has high expectations for RB room

Everything RB coach Carlos Locklyn said following Oregon's 10th spring practice - Transcript

247SPORTS.COM

Here's a complete transcript from RB coach Carlos Locklyn's press conference.

• Go Ducks! 1

WATCH: Ajani Cornelius breaks down decision to come to Oregon

Jahlil Florence repping at nickel this spring: 'We want as many corners on the field as possible'

Jahlil Florence remembers taking in the totality of the Autzen crowd for the first time when Dont'e Thornton raced past him for a long touchdown. That pass connection came in last year's spring game and isn't a play he'll soon forget.

"That really woke me up," Florence admits. "People see all the fans and get a lot of anxiety, but just calm down, it's the same game you've played your whole life."

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon sophomore Jahlil Florence has been working at nickel this spring in an effort to find a bigger role this fall.

Post Practice Interiew

Jahlil Florence: "Everything's just flowing."

Carlos Locklyn looking for leadership and mentorship from Bucky Irving and Noah Whittington

247SPORTS.COM

Bucky Irving and Noah Whitting are back at Oregon for their second seasons, and the duo will make up one of the best running back tandems in the country. Where do they look

OT Ajani Cornelius on first spring camp with Oregon: '(It) forced me to raise my level of competition'

Only seven University of Rhode Island players have been drafted since 1972. For offensive tackle Ajani Cornelius, the transfer portal offered him the chance to compete against the top talents in the country at a school like Oregon.

The move, over 3,000 miles away, is not typical. And for Cornelius, there were plenty of suitors between Kingston, RI, and Eugene, OR. But, after nearly 20 offers and visits to Oregon, Ohio State, and Tennessee, Oregon came away with the talented tackle.

Spring camp at Oregon was a different level for Cornelius and a serious jump from the competition he once faced at Rhode Island.

"Well, when you go into a new environment, it's always going to be different things," said Cornelius on the challenges he's faced during spring camp. "I would say early on, it was obvious that the level of competition had risen. And that forced me to raise my level of competition, which ultimately was what I wanted, and it's been a great thing for me. I feel like I keep on growing as a player because of it."

247SPORTS.COM

Rhode Island transfer OT Ajani Cornelius runs through how his first spring camp at Oregon is going.

Oregon newcomer Jordan Burch drawing rave reviews in spring ball

Oregon needs a much better pass rush in 2023, and so upgrading the talent on the edge was a major area of emphasis for the coaching staff this offseason.

To that end, securing a commitment from former South Carolina defensive end Jordan Burch was a huge win. And Burch, a 5-star prospect as a recruit, has lived up to the billing so far this spring for the Ducks.

“Jordan Burch coming in, he’s been excellent off the edge,” said former Rhode Island tackle Ajani Cornelius. “He’s a strong dude. He’s not your typical end out there. He’s heavy, and he’s quick. So him being that heavy, sometimes you want to expect, but he’s a true athlete, especially for his size.”

That back-and-forth between Burch and Cornelius should be an “iron sharpens iron” situation for the Ducks.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Oregon defensive lineman Jordan Burch is causing problems during the Ducks' spring period, and pushing a fellow newcomer...

FOOTBALL PRACTICE REPORT: APRIL 20

THE DUCKS PRACTICED INSIDE THE MOSHOFSKY CENTER ON THURSDAY AND WILL BE IN AUTZEN STADIUM ON SATURDAY FOR A SCRIMMAGE

When he took the job as running backs coach at Oregon, Carlos Locklyn made a pledge to one of his predecessors in the job. Every day since, he's worked hard to keep it, by driving home a simple message to the Ducks' backs.

"When you come in this room," Locklyn said following the Ducks' spring practice Thursday, "you are going to compete. I made a promise to Coach (Gary) Campbell — I said that I am going to charge myself with bringing this room back where it's supposed to be at. So I tell these kids all the time, you come here, you're going to earn it."

Locklyn has gone about assembling a position group with the depth and talent to foster heated competition. From last year's team, the Ducks return two players in Bucky Irving and Noah Whittington who combined for nearly 1,900 rushing yards; each rushed for five touchdowns, as did yet another returner this spring, Jordan James. New recruits Dante Dowdell and Jayden Limar joined the fray this offseason, and the unit is bolstered by some talented, hard-working non-scholarship guys as well.

GODUCKS.COM

The Ducks practiced inside the Moshofsky Center on Thursday and will be in Autzen Stadium on Saturday for a scrimmage.
  • Like 1

Leadership becoming top priority for Bucky Irving, Noah Whittington in year two with Ducks

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Bucky Irving and Noah Whittington were newcomers last season, but now as vets, they are learning how to lead off the field as well.

Studying defense has helped Carlos Locklyn take Oregon RB room to next level

The focus this spring for Carlos Locklyn — the Oregon Ducks’ running backs coach — goes beyond getting players in playing shape. He wants every single person in the running backs room to feel the desire to learn and get better, including himself.

“You gotta learn every day,” Locklyn said. “I always tell my guys ‘Don’t ever let your cup get too full.’ You always pick up some knowledge, some things from wherever you go.”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“Obviously, we’ve got some of the best defensive minds in college football here, so I’m learning every day.”