Pennsylvania Duck

Spring Football Practice: 4/22/23

Spring football practice is scheduled for today and from what I have read, it is to be a scrimmage. Media are not allowed in for scrimmages, but there will be interviews and articles afterwards. 

I am starting this thread early so that posters may start dropping items in as they occur. 

There are 15 spring practices scheduled this season. Each practice will have it's own thread on OBDF and all articles in that thread will only pertain to that particular practice.

This should help in keeping information organized and make it easier for our readers to navigate.

FYI, in the article below you will see the dates for the practices scheduled. Be sure to check in later today as practice articles, interviews, and updates start coming in.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The dates have been set for Oregon’s spring practice schedule.

Noah Whittington has bulked up, looking to add more power to rushing attack

Oregon football has had a nice little run of having a tandem running back attack where one tailback is the so-called “speed back” with the other being a “power back.”

Last season, however, the duo of Bucky Irving and Noah Whittington were basically two sides of the same coin. But according to running backs coach Carlos Locklyn, Whittington has taken it upon himself to turn into the power to Irving’s speed.

Having two different backs with different abilities makes it even tougher for defenses to prepare. Even though Whittington will play the power back role, it doesn’t mean he’ll be three yards and a cloud of dust. If opponents don’t watch out, Whittington will bust out for an explosion play and leave defenders in his wake.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks running back Noah Whittington has added some weight this offseason and bulked up with goals of being a more powerful rusher.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Everything Dan Lanning said after Oregon's second spring scrimmage - Transcript

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning met with the media to discuss Oregon's play in its second scrimmage of the spring. 

Here's a complete transcript of everything Lanning said.

247SPORTS.COM

Read below for a full transcript of Dan Lanning's press conference following the Ducks' second scrimmage of spring football.

Everything CB coach Demetrice Martin said after Oregon's second spring scrimmage - Transcript

Oregon cornerbacks coach Demetrice Martin met with the media on Saturday for the first time this spring.

Here's a complete transcript of Martin's press conference.

247SPORTS.COM

Here's a complete transcript from cornerbacks coach Demetrice Martin and his Saturday afternoon media availability

LB Jestin Jacobs on transfer to Oregon: 'It was really my dream school since I was younger'

For Oregon linebacker Jestin Jacobs, growing up in Ohio does not make you an Ohio State fan. Jacobs, a junior transfer from Iowa, grew up a fan of the Oregon Ducks and now has the opportunity to play for his childhood favorite.

"I grew up a huge Oregon fan," said Jacobs in his first media appearance as a Duck. "I mean, it's a little odd being from Ohio, like there's a lot of O-State fans out there, so my family wasn't too happy about it, but I've always been a big Oregon fan. I've always followed them. So once I got the opportunity to come here, especially, hopefully, this my last year, so I had to take that opportunity."

Jacobs lists Marcus Mariota and De'Anthony Thomas as two of his favorite Ducks. Jacobs comes from the era that grew up watching those two superstars put up highlight reel plays repeatedly. However, Jacobs notes that it wasn't just those two players that made him an Oregon fan, but it was the team as a whole.

247SPORTS.COM

Iowa transfer LB Jestin Jacobs is fitting into his dream school well during spring camp

Dan Lanning praises level of competition in second spring scrimmage

The team's final Autzen Stadium tuneup before next weekend's spring game is in the books. The second scrimmage of spring was closed to media like the first, but once again passed the test, according to head coach Dan Lanning, who offered his thoughts moments after walking off the turf.

"Great competition today. A lot of good situational football," Lanning began has settled in before the cameras. "I saw a lot of young guys able to step up. I think we got a lot of good reps, probably our higher rep count scrimmages, but good for us to be able to see a lot of guys play."

Asked if the high rep count was due to faster offensive tempo, Lanning shook his head, instead suggesting that the offense got more plays because the defense failed to get off the field on third down plays.

"I thought that we had some sustained drives and I wanted to let the series play out," he went on to say. "So we had a little bit higher rep count a couple of times with the offense moving the ball early."

The day featured pure scrimmage moments, and also some situational periods. Per Lanning, they focused their work on two and four-minute drills, no timeout situations as well as third and fourth down scenarios.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon head coach Dan Lannnig offered his thoughts from how the team handled its second scrimmage of spring on Saturday...

Defense has several takeaways during Oregon Ducks’ second spring scrimmage

Oregon’s second spring scrimmage featured big plays on each side, including several takeaways, and situational work.

Cornerbacks Dontae Manning and Darren Barkins and linebacker Jestin Jacobs each had interceptions Saturday morning at Autzen Stadium in the Ducks’ 11th practice of spring.

“Really did a good job early with the offense moving the ball down the field and being able to punch it in and get some early scores,” Oregon coach Dan Lanning said. “Then came back with the defense in third down and some of the situational football at the end. Different from last scrimmage, we actually had more takeaways in this scrimmage.

Got to do a better job of protecting the ball offensively and then got to continue to do a good job of attacking it defensively. Can’t get too excited or too upset either way there, but obviously some things to improve on."

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Cornerbacks Dontae Manning and Darren Barkins and linebacker Jestin Jacobs each had interceptions Saturday morning at Autzen...
  • Go Ducks! 1

Post Scrimmage Interviews

Dan Lanning recaps Oregon's 2nd Spring Scrimmage

Oregon assistant Demetrice Martin scouts his cornerback room

Jr. Inside Linebacker Jestin Jacobs 

Jr. Defensive Back Dontae Manning

Oregon’s offensive line has been without a returning starter and will be for the remainder of spring practice.

Marcus Harper II, who played exclusively at left guard last season and is competing there and at center this spring, missed all three practices this week due to an unspecified injury. He is unlikely to return to the field during the remaining four spring practices.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Harper II missed all three practices this week due to an unspecified injury.

FOOTBALL PRACTICE REPORT: APRIL 22

Just one more full week remains in spring practice for the Oregon football team this spring, after the Ducks wrapped up the penultimate week of drills with their second scrimmage of April on Saturday in Autzen Stadium.

Like the week before, the scrimmage began with drill work before ramping up into 11-on-11 drills. There were chances for the offense to move the field, and for the defense to try and get stops on third down and in the red zone. And there were some new situations introduced, such as the "4-minute/2-minute" drill the Ducks incorporated into practices this week.

As always, there was give and take between the two sides.

After turning the ball over on the opening drive the week before, Bo Nix and his "Green" team opened Saturday's scrimmage by driving to a touchdown, on a run by Bucky Irving. Tez Johnson later caught a touchdown pass from Nix, and Jayden Limar had a touchdown reception from Ty Thompson.

The defense was able to produce some turnovers, including a scoop-and-score by defensive lineman Ben Roberts and an interception by Dontae Manning in the "4-minute/2-minute" drill.

GODUCKS.COM

The Ducks held their second spring scrimmage on Saturday in Autzen Stadium.

'They've got to earn it;' Dante Dowdell and Jayden Limar quickly getting up to speed at Oregon

There is no shortage of running back talent in Eugene, Oregon during the spring of 2023.

After a stellar season in 2022, the Ducks bring back both Bucky Irving and Noah Whittington, who combined for just under 2,000 yards in their first year with the program.

On top of that, sophomore Jordan James is expecting a bigger role in the offense after serving as the go-to short-yardage rusher a year ago, and the Ducks also bring in two highly-rated 4-star RBs from the 2022 recruiting class — Dante Dowdell and Jayden Limar.

When you come to college as a top-20 RB in your class — Dowdell was rated No. 6 in 2022, Limar No. 18 — there may be an expectation that you can get on the field as a true freshman and display some of the high ceiling that you bring. When you come to as stacked of a room as there is in Eugene, though. you’ve got some work to do in order to prove that you deserve the carries.

“Dante and Jayden, they have come along pretty well,” RB coach Carlos Locklyn said. “You’re gonna earn it in my room, and that’s it. You’re gonna earn it and they’re starting to get that, both of them.”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“They understand that it takes more than just getting the ball and running in college. This ain’t high school.”

Oregon loading its secondary with coverage skills this spring

Spring football is a time for coaching staffs across the country to cross-train their players, tinker with lineups, and try players in new positions or situations to see how they respond. For Oregon's defense, the Ducks have been improving their coverage skills in the secondary. That's led to trying sophomore cornerback Jahlil Florence at the STAR position.

Oregon cornerback coach Demetrice Martin later in the week explained the decision to get Florence on the field as a nickel instead of just a full-time cornerback.

"You're getting a guy who is used to being out there on an island covering. Most offenses now try to put some of their better receivers in the slot to create mismatches against safeties and linebackers," said Martin. "So, if you're able to put a cover corner in there that can hold up in the run somewhat, then you're heightening your chance to get some hands-on balls."

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon Ducks are making an effort to get more coverage skill on the field in 2023 and we learn why.

CB coach Demetrice Martin explains why Khyree Jackson made sense for the Ducks

Bringing in a transfer, especially on the defensive side of the ball, can be a dicey situation. That player needs to fit into a particular scheme as well as fit in with his new teammates.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.

Oregon brought in corner Christian Gonzalez from Colorado and it was an absolute home run. He was a first-team all-conference player and should a first-round NFL draft pick this week.

The Ducks are going to the well once again with former Alabama corner Khyree Jackson and so far, it might be another homer for the home team. According to cornerbacks coach Demetrice Martin, Jackson is a transfer that hasn’t needed to adjust to the system and visa versa.

“You know, he’s a longer guy. He’s got a lot of exposure, some good ball skills, and then one of the things in the place that he comes from that is a very similar style of defense,” Martin said of the former Crimson Tide corner. “Our defense is probably not free-agent friendly. So it’s guys that have been in the system and know the terminology and know some of the fits and adjustments that usually thrive.”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

CB coach Demetrice Martin explains why Khyree Jackson made sense for the Ducks

Dontae Manning working to earn starting CB job

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon cornerback Dontae Manning hopes to make the most of his fourth season with the Ducks.