mrspenney

How Much NIL Monies Do You Think is Being Spent for the Entire Duck Football Team?

Also it would be interesting to know how much is being spent for next years basketball team.  For that matter it would be interesting to know how much NIL monies are being spent for all the Oregon athletic teams.

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Interesting topic, and how is it being distributed? I imagine the big guys are getting more, but are all the athletes getting to learn about spending money while at college. 

I know I learned how to survive, financially, in college. Once I graduated and began to make real money I learned how to spend and save. Not coming from lots of money I didn't head off on spring break, have a car, or really much extra spending money. Summers were spent working, and I worked while in college. 

I think it is good these athletes are getting some money. I wonder if there is much guidance about how to spend, save and just counsel on what to do with money? Also players with money, some more than others sets up another dynamic within a team of players. 

Some programs like Texas A&M seem to have blown it by giving a bunch of money to potential, freshman, while the rest were expected to carry the team.

How much is spent on NIL, is the tip of the iceberg as to how teams and programs are affected. The effect might be easy to see in the parking lot, with some new cars, but lots of money for college students opens a whole new dynamic. I guess the question of NIL money and the new world of college athletics will be something to study over time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember a time when athletes at smaller colleges had to work for room and board. My brother attended Willamette University in Salem, and worked at the Oregon State Hospital (At that time, a residential mental health facility, and site of the state nurses training program), even living in an on site dormitory for WU athletes (I believe the name was Griffith Hall?).

He did ground maintenance, punched patient meal tickets, some janitorial work, even showed movies in certain wards for the patients.

I knew Oregon football players who worked as manual labor for companies like Wildish Sand and Gravel.

My, how the worm has turned!