Jon Joseph

New College Timing Rules - Dog Meet Tail

What happened to the committee SEC commissioner Greg Sankey co-chaired that was supposed to separate G5 and P5 regulation from the NCAA?

D3 concerns will hold up the no-clock stoppage for 1st downs for at least the 2023 season.

Oregon's opponent Texas Tech ran the most plays from the line of scrimmage in 2022 and has to be loving this. 

Amherst, Bowdoin, and Williams, among 432 D3 football schools should not be involved with G5 and P5 rule-making.

Cats (and birds) should not play with big dog tails.

dog bird GIF

Edited by Jon Joseph

Articles from the AP and ESPN are stating that the delay is only for D3 games. D3 would like to see how well the new rule works at the upper divisions before making the change. I'm not a fan of the new timing rules. I think it will reduce the number of exciting 4th quarter comebacks.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/14/2023 at 2:27 PM, JB89 said:

Articles from the AP and ESPN are stating that the delay is only for D3 games. D3 would like to see how well the new rule works at the upper divisions before making the change. I'm not a fan of the new timing rules. I think it will reduce the number of exciting 4th quarter comebacks.

Logical. The D3 should not control the G5/P5. 

CBS says this will delay the rule for all teams. We'll see.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:27 PM, JB89 said:

I think it will reduce the number of exciting 4th quarter comebacks.

I agree totally with you on this one, if the games are too long there's many other ways to speed things up, number one is instant replay.

How many instant replays take several minutes when most everyone knows what the answer is in 5 seconds. The referee should never have to walk to a monitor to initiate a replay when a couple guys in the booth should already know by the time they get to the sideline.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/14/2023 at 4:39 PM, Dave23 said:

I agree totally with you on this one, if the games are too long there's many other ways to speed things up, number one is instant replay.

How many instant replays take several minutes when most everyone knows what the answer is in 5 seconds. The referee should never have to walk to a monitor to initiate a replay when a couple guys in the booth should already know by the time they get to the sideline.

Spot On! IMO CFB should adopt the NFL replay rules. Have to challenge before the last two minutes of each half and if you are wrong you lose a time out.

And if the CFB rules remain in place limit the review to 2 or 3 minutes from start to finish. No decision within this time frame means that the play stands.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/14/2023 at 3:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

CFB should adopt the NFL replay rules.

This would go a long way to speeding up the game without changing the overall dynamic. If you change first down clock stoppage I feel that you need to change the passing interference penalty to a spot foul as to not unduly influence come back attempts which we all love.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:39 PM, Dave23 said:

Perfection is unattainable no matter the methods used. These are human beings that we are talking about. I'd rather go back to the days of 'the rub of the green."

Some bad calls would fall in your favor and vice versa.