Jon Joseph

Pro Football Focus Ranks Oregon's Running Back Room in the Top 10

Pro Football Focus (PFF) does one of the most if not the most in-depth looks at college football talent in the nation. Likely 2nd only to NFL scouts and most of the scouts admit to using PFF as a tool in talent evaluation. PFF evaluates every play by every player in G5 and P5 football and PFF rankings often vary from season's end college football awards.

For example, the Joe Moore Award is presented to the best OL in CFB. The Michigan OL won the Joe in 2021 and 2022. In both seasons PFF had Oregon's OL rated ahead of Michigan's OL.

If I am reading the rankings correctly, no numerals next to the top 10 RB rooms, Oregon comes in #7 in the nation heading into the 2023 season. In 2022, Bucky Irving was one of two RBs, the other being UCLA's Zack Charbonnet, to carry the ball one hundred and fifty times or more and average 6.5 yards or more. Testament to Bucky, the OL play, OC Dillingham's scheme, and play calling. I don't mean to whine, maybe I do, but if these two young men had played in the SEC would that stat be under the radar?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With Bucky Irving and Noah Whittington back for more, the Ducks have one of the best RB rooms in the nation this year.

One thing of interest to me looking at these rankings is that no Alabama RB has started a game or has significant playing time. Add this to Saban bringing a QB late in the day from Notre Dame and Bama's recruiting while always ranked in the top 3 nationally and often 1, has whiffed on identifying talent on the O side of the ball. The OL play for Bama in the last two seasons has also been subpar and Bama's recruiting corps is not what it once was. 

I will not be surprised if LSU goes back-to-back winning the SEC W in the last season of divisions in the SEC.

Will Stein has been handed a lot of tools and hopefully, he will have the O machine working in the fashion it worked under Dilly.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2