Jon Joseph

10 College Football Coaches Facing Pivotal 2nd Seasons

'Pivotal?' This is not my headline choice. I don't believe any of the coaches discussed in this article will be on the hot seat if their 2nd campaign is all that disappointing to the fans and based on preseason polls.

But with Dan Lanning, Riley, DeBoer, and more on the list, including 2nd-year head coach Texas Tech's, Joey McGuire, I think this may be of interest to Ducks fans. There is IMO too much love for a man with no D in his name, Riley and the Trojans based upon D guys brought in via the portal. Someone has to coach these guys up, right? And it's the same someone who put a group of matadors, Ole!, on the field last season. But like it or not, and I don't like it, SC is a media magnet with 2 L's versus the Utes and a Cotton Bowl meltdown versus a G5 team seeming to have been lost in the positive media wash. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

These 10 coaches have pivotal years ahead in the 2023 college football season

Going into 2023, I believe Dan Lanning did a better job of plugging holes on the D out of the portal. 

For stats gurus out there, has any conference with 12 or fewer teams ever had 3 new head football coaches win ten or more games in their first season?

Not a quiz. I don't know the answer.

image.thumb.gif.53f1e9e139858b904cdbd2bb8ea184fc.gif

Mari Cristbal may be the most expensive buy out in history and if they go 5-7 again he just might be the one who actually gets fired after year 2

On 7/14/2023 at 7:25 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Going into 2023, I believe Dan Lanning did a better job of plugging holes on the D out of the portal. 

Dan has a vision for what he wants his defense to look like. He didn't gut the ducks when he got there and took a year to evaluate what he had. 

He determined what he had or more to the point didn't have in that he didn't have linebackers who could consistently cover and didn't have edge rushers. 

Oddly enough the secondary did a pretty good job as the year went on last year but we're constantly undermined by the linebackers giving up the underneath routes and no real pass rush, in part to the underneath routes. And even then Lanning and improved the secondary. 

Oregon is going to have a monster defense to go with a monster offense. 

I still see Riley at USC playing big-12 style football... Namely shootouts. It's worked for him so far in his career... Well mostly worked. So it'll probably continue. 

• Thumbs Up 1