Augduck

Family?

Something struck me this past weekend as I saw the Instagram and Twitter posts from various players and Lanning about the volunteer thing they did on Saturday. If you did not see it or hear about it, in conjunction with the Home Depot, the team gathered at Autzen and built beds for kids living in shelters and homes without beds.  The charity is called Sleep in Heavenly Peace and the premise is no kid sleeps on a floor. 

After the volunteer activity the players gathered at Lanning's home for what appeared to be a BBQ lunch and activities such as swimming, basketball etc.

It struck me that Mario always talked about 'family' and 'culture' and how the team needed to be a family but I never saw him do anything that fostered those things.  One of the things I know Lanning specifically wanted when he came to Eugene was a home that would allow him to  have the entire team there for events,meals etc.  When he first got here he moved to a  temporary place in south Eugene and would have the team over on a regular basis  based on position groups.  He was waiting to find a home that was larger.

The point here is I do think Dan is building a culture.   It's not just talk.  He talks about his Get Real team events which are weekly and the discussions CANNOT be about football.   They use the sessions as not only an opportunity to gather for a meal but discuss issues outside of sports and football.

Obviously I am not an insider but there seems to be some substance here that was lacking previously.   Just my observation.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Great observation. Thanks for posting. 

It is a great juxtaposition to the article about coach Sanders dismissing a player in front of the whole team, or "family" as he called it.

How to strengthen the idea of family...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Recruits who've decided on Oregon often site the feeling of family here. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1