Pennsylvania Duck

Has Pac-12 Officiating Improved? Merton Hanks 'Excited' by State of Pac-12 Officiating

A mass exodus of Pac-12 football officials earlier this offseason saw five referees leave the conference to pursue other avenues. One retired and four resigned — three of which are now working for the Big Ten Conference.

The abrupt exits made headlines back in April, and three months later, Pac-12 Senior Associate Commissioner Merton Hanks says the conference has a handle on everything.

“We are excited. We have a wonderful group of officials. Moving forward I think this group, to address the elephant in the room, so to speak, we had a number of officials as independent contractors decide to take their opportunities elsewhere,” Hanks said during Pac-12 Media Day earlier this week in Las Vegas. “We took that opportunity, quite frankly, to reposition our great talent.”

I remember there were many comments last season on OBDF regarding bad Pac-12 officiating. What do you think? Do you still have doubts?

I guess the "proof is in the pudding" as they say.

What else could Hanks say, "sorry, we bad"?

I'll believe it when I see it.

However, all my football friends from other conferences are convinced their officials are the worst. So maybe it just goes with the territory. 

Let's hope for improvement. 🤞

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1