Pennsylvania Duck

Dan Lanning: Why He Wants to Stay at Oregon

After the happenings this week, there aren't many people in the conference I believe in, somehow I believe Lanning. This article will make you feel good about our coach...

Dan Lanning explains why he signed an extension with a large buyout

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning offered comment on his new deal at the program's media day less than a week after signing a contract extension through the 2028 season.

Dan Lanning's actions last week signaled his commitment to Oregon for the long haul. His comments at the program's media day on Monday afternoon simply reiterated it.

The 37-year old's new deal adds one year and keeps him under contract though 2028. It will also ups his pay considerably, beginning this year when he's owed $2.3 million more than he was under his initial agreement. In total, he's now set to make $45 million over the next six years.

Lanning also agreed to a $20 million buyout for the deal's duration, making it a challenge for opposing schools to poach him before his deal runs out.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning offered comment on his new deal at the program's media day less than a week after signing a...

• Applause 1

If Dan Lanning does as well as we hope schools will try and pay the $20 million buyout all day and night. The spoiled children paid off Helton, and Oklahoma to get Riley for a total close to $20 million.

A large buyout is just smart negotiating. All it does to Lanning is make sure a solid school will try and buy him, no mid major will even try.

I could see these type of buyouts become as expensive as the coaches contract, just makes sense, at least for schools investing a lot into a coach.

• Thumbs Up 1