FishDuck Article

From Georgia: Watch Dan Lanning’s ‘Simulated Pressures’

Coach Dan Lanning brought some Georgia blitzes with him to Oregon, and Duck fans are going to see more of them in action this next season. Because the 4-2-5 MINT defense that Lanning likes to run was in a transitional stage between aligning the right talent with the assignments in 2022, the need for applying pressure without leaving the secondary ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Coach Dan Lanning brought some Georgia blitzes with him to Oregon, and Duck fans are going to see more of them in action this next season...
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Charles thanks for the analysis and breakdown on this play.

The screen shota were fantastic and they illustrate the confusion this D formation can cause a QB. Especially to a young inexperienced QB.

Not knowing where the blitz or pressure will come from  creates QB happy feet or panic. Dorlus played the position correctly and broke up the play.

Discipline to your assignment is critical because the PAC, top to bottom, has a line up of future NFL QB's.

The screen shot and live play also show us how impotant speed plays in causing havoc. If the blitzers ran a 4.3 or 4.4 instead of 4 5 or 4.6 they would have hands on the NC QB.....

Or forced a scramble.......

DL and staff have recruited some fast defenders in the 23 and 24 classes. Including the freaks.

GO DUCKS.........

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Coach made a coment that 3rd down efficiency looked much better starting summer camp.

Getting better at the simulated pressure will improve the horrible 3rd down numbers from last year.

Corner play is also going to be vital. I think the secondary takes a huge step up this season. Partly because line play and LB play will be vastly improved.

Looking for a low 30's rated defense. Fix 3rd down and that alone gets us there imo. 

Going to the a challenge in the Pac this year. Some really good offenses. Defense has to step up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Mr. FishDuck for your analysis!  Your use of the screenshot and video clip is superb.  They make the teaching of the concept so much easier to understand.

Duck fans appreciate the time and effort it takes to bring us the details of the Mint defense Coach Lanning brought to Oregon.

It's been a long off season and football games are coming.  Oregon Duck football is back.  Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Charles, like the fans above, I want to thank you for this analysis of the Mint Defense.  I’m familiar with the scheme, but admit that I’m still very much learning.  It’s a complex scheme, but I think you hit the nail on the head with your analysis.  

I absolutely agree that having the right talent in the proper assignments is very key to this strategy.  If successful, this defense can often stress an offense while only rushing 4, thereby not handicapping the secondary in coverage.  As you stated, this is a huge plus.  Of course, also sometimes sending an extra blitzer to apply extra pressure and often getting a sack on passing downs.  I can’t count the number of times I’ve watched GA send a blitz from the star position and completely explode a play.

Like your analysis describes, it’s much about simulated pressure.  Attempting to keep the O-line and QB out of sink and unsure of where pressure might be coming from.  Having the correct personnel and having every defender understand and execute assignments in unison is paramount.   This helps each position group be more effective.  

The right talent as mentioned is also key.  The more speed a defensive front has, the more effective this strategy will work.  Along with this though, another aspect that I believe adds to the effectiveness is strength on the interior.  Having a few linemen that can hold the interior and reek a little havoc is huge.  It is a game changer if you have even 1 lineman that demands a double team.  

This can cause chaos in the trenches and open up opportunities for the speedy, opportunistic defenders.  This can create nightmare scenarios for the O-line and QB.  There have been times when my Dawgs are playing very well that I’m pretty sure the opposing offense honestly dreads snapping the ball.  

Again, thanks for your analysis.  I find it quite helpful in understanding the Mint D and very interesting.  This Mint D is a very clever strategy.  I very much look forward to watching it develop for the Ducks.  I’m certainly not going to toot any horns too early, but a defense such as this combined with the Ducks offense could be something special.  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1