Pennsylvania Duck

With Super Conferences and CFP Expansion, 2023 is End of an Era

Welcome to the final season of college football as we know it.

Extreme? Maybe, but 2023 has an end-of-an-era feel.

Texas and Oklahoma are taking their last lap in the Big 12. The Pac-12 is still a Power Five conference. Will it even be a conference in 2024 after the Big Ten opens its West Wing and the Big 12 expands yet again? The College Football

Playoff is a four-team event for the last time this year before tripling in size.

Everything about the collegiate sports model seems ripe for radical changes. But not quite yet.

“It does seem like it will feel like a lame-duck year at some point in time,” former Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said.

Before the maps are redrawn (again) and the stakes are remade (again), there is one more season to left to appreciate what is being lost — or long for what’s being gained.

“I’m resigned to it,” said ESPN’s Rece Davis on The AP Top 25 College Football Podcast. “There are parts of it I will miss very much because I consider myself, at heart, a traditionalist. I love the nostalgia of the sport.

Maybe, save, baseball, I don’t think there is another sport that conjures up that type of deep emotional connection that college football does. And we’re losing some of that.”

APNEWS.COM

Welcome to the final season of college football as we know it. That might sound extreme, but 2023 has an end-of-an-era feel.

I think we will see something similar to when the NCAA broke into 3 divisions in 1971, only, the have's will brake away from the NCAA all together and the have not's will merge with the FCS at least in football. What is crazy is basketball has 300+ D1 schools, e.g. Mt. St. Mary's, Gonzaga, etc. which don't even field a football team.

I believe there needs to be a nationwide NIL federal regulations.  What we are now seeing is state legislators, such as in Missouri passing advantages NIL.

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson signs advantageous NIL bill into law

WWW.ON3.COM

Add Missouri to the list of states that have signed sweeping NIL reform on the local level aimed directly at bypassing oversight by the NCAA.

Conference realignment will mean longer trips and greater costs for traveling college football fans

A one-way flight involving Oregon and Rutgers in the new Big Ten is 2,900 miles and slightly less for schools like Southern Cal, UCLA or Washington. That's more than five hours on a plane.

In seven decades of following West Virginia football, little has gotten in the way when Terry Keenan wants to see his beloved Mountaineers.

Conference realignment promises to be a headache.

College sports and the traveling fan are on course for a big reset in 2024. TV money has lured Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon and Washington to the Big Ten. Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah will join the growing Big 12. And Oklahoma and Texas will head to the Southeastern Conference.

Although a few regional rivalries have been created or preserved, longer trips will be the norm.

How long? A one-way flight involving Oregon and Rutgers in the new Big Ten is 2,900 miles (4,667 kilometers) and slightly less for schools like Southern Cal, UCLA or Washington. That's more than five hours on a plane.

Time will tell whether football fans will embrace this new concept, or whether realignment will put a dagger into the heart of the road warrior for games that aren't marquee matchups.

For every chance for a new Big Ten school to play at Ohio State, there will be trips such as Utah playing UCF in Orlando, Florida, or Arizona State traveling to Morgantown, West Virginia.

WWW.REGISTERGUARD.COM

A one-way flight involving Oregon and Rutgers in the new Big Ten is 2,900 miles and slightly less for schools like Southern Cal...