cartm25

2023 Top-5 Most Watched Games by Week (Colorado)

My friends . . . like it, love it, indifferent, or hate it . . . what is happening with Colorado is INCREDIBLE.

Obviously, I hope this bubble bursts on Saturday, but the Colorado vs. Oregon game could pull in ~12M viewers (see definition in the graphic below).

When Oregon burst on the scene with the Nike brand, uniforms, Chip Kelly and his offense, and players like DAT, it impacted an entire generation of young athletes. How often do we hear young recruits saying "Oregon with DAT (or fill in your favorite electric player) was my favorite team growing up."

Colorado is unique in that Deion is the center of Colorado's universe, and not a combination of things (i.e., Nike, Chip Kelly, uniforms, DAT, etc.). The younger generation may look at this time period and associate it with Deion, and not necessarily with Colorado. Fascinating stuff!!

Some perspective:

- Colorado's 2022 average viewership per game was 353,000 . . .

- Only 12 games last year had more viewers than Colorado's 8pm PST start-time game against an unranked, non-P5 opponent that ended at 2am ET.

- Of the 12 games mentioned above, 7 were from the CFP, major bowl games, or Conference Championships (excluding the P12 championship which only garnered 6.0M). . . The remaining 5 were matchups between some of the biggest schools (currently and historically) while both were highly ranked.

image.png.91a3e395d89d951ee31b5157473bee60.png

This may be a flash in the pan, especially if Colorado goes on a losing streak in the next few games, but the viewership numbers are still remarkable.

I intend to track the top-5 watched games nationally each week, as well as tracking the top viewed games in the P12.

If you're a stat/numbers nerd like me, hopefully you'll enjoy.

Feel free to comment on any of your thoughts / observations regarding the data.

• Cool 1
  • Wow 1

On 9/19/2023 at 5:08 PM, cartm25 said:

And here's the P-12 viewership stats as promised:

image.png.ec462c845c8515076447adb8bd3d8a3c.png

** Anyone else surprised that the Oregon St. vs. San Jose State game in Week 1 got more viewers than Oregon vs. Texas Tech in Week 2?

Thanks for the info. I am a bit surprised at the TT # but the game was up against TX at Bama.