Legion

Lanning's Rendition of Gang Green

I have been pleasant surprised about the improvement of the Ducks Defense this year. I confess, I had my reservation about that side of the ball heading into the season. Wanting to quantify their improvement, I looked up where they rank nationally for the following categories:  yards/play, sacks, and turnovers.

These are the following top defense for yards/play:

1) UCLA  3.75 (4 games)

2) Penn St.  3.79 (5 games)

3) Oregon  4.02 (5 games)

Last season, Oregon gave up 5.8 yards/play for the entire year.

Concerning sacks, Oregon has 18 through 5 games. That ranks 8th nationally, which places them behind, among others, USC's defense. Yeah, you read that right...USC has 19 sacks. I imagine USC numbers are a result of their opponents abandoning the run in order to keep pace with their offense, allowing the defense to pin their ears back and get after the quarterback. Last year, it took Oregon 13 games to amass 18 sacks. 

Regarding turnovers, Oregon has only forced 6, which ranks 77th. At that rate, it will be tough to reach the 21 turnovers created by last years unit. 

If they can get after Penix next weekend, it might be time to refer to that side of the ball as Gang Green.

I was trying to re-live the glory days of Gang Green, and this is what I found:

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 7:48 PM, Legion said:

I have been pleasant surprised about the improvement of the Ducks Defense this year. I confess, I had my reservation about that side of the ball heading into the season. Wanting to quantify their improvement, I looked up where they rank nationally for the following categories:  yards/play, sacks, and turnovers.

1) UCLA  3.75 (4 games)

Concerning sacks, Oregon has 18 through 5 games. That ranks 8th nationally, which places them behind, among others, USC's defense. Yeah, you read that right...USC has 19 sacks. I imagine USC numbers are a result of their opponents abandoning the run in order to keep pace with their offense, allowing the defense to pin their ears back and get after the quarterback. Last year, it took Oregon 13 games to amass 18 sacks. 

Regarding turnovers, Oregon has only forced 6, which ranks 77th. At that rate, it will be tough to reach the 21 turnovers created by last years unit. 

If they can get after Penix next weekend, it might be time to refer to that side of the ball as Gang Green.

Not quite as catchy as more recent Ducky anthems, but that'll do!

Edited by woundedknees

Thank you Legion!

I don't think I've ever seen that video or heard that song.

Truly awesome!

Brought back many memories of that great season and going to games with my son.

Definitely a comparison to this year's vast improved D.

Might have to come up with a new nickname.

On 10/5/2023 at 7:48 PM, Legion said:

1) UCLA  3.75 (4 games)

Awesome video. Thanks for finding and sharing